As Requested - CC2 Crashing w/ .log and .ini files

irish56_ak

CC2 randomly crashes/freezes. This is after a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to try to resolve the same problem (and clean up the computer, of course). I have tried downloading and installing the USB drivers for CC2, but cannot get them to install- Windows insist the proper drivers are already installed, even when I manually navigate to the downloaded drivers. The install instructions show the Crystal Fontz hardware under USB Controllers in Device Manager, but it does not show up in mine. The CC2 configuration box shows CC2 using Com Port 3, which does show up in Device Manager as a USB Serial Port. Manually installing the CC2 drivers there (by uninstalling the existing driver first) is successful, but results in CC2 being inoperative altogether. I have the latest CC2 release ( CC2setup-20110121.exe), yet after installation I get a popup saying a newer version is available and then listing the same file I have. I don't know if this is usual, but if a have to restart CC2 from the start bar, I get both the CC2 Status icon (turns from red to blue) and the green CC2 user control icon.

When following the instructions to create a zip file for this thread, I could not restart CC2 from the Start Bar...I had to go to Services under Administrative Tools. CC2 did not fail during the time I let it run to create the file. Do I go back and change the file_level value to '2' or leave it at '0'? Would you like a a logfile that runs until failure?

I removed my email info from the email.ini and email.log files before posting.

Thanks for your time.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Attachments

Last edited:

irish56_ak

No, I have not been able to install the drivers. I will follow the link provided and try again when I get off work.

irish56_ak

Got the drivers installed (attachment). Had to disable Windows 'automatic driver installation' in Local Group Policy Editor and jump through a few more hoops, but we're there.

Attachments

irish56_ak

It ran longer than usual, including starting automatically after the computer came out of sleep mode. It did eventually freeze - didn't go to a blank screen, just froze still showing characters.

CF Mark

Administrator
Im actually having the same problem here at the moment with my fresh Win7 install.
Ill get it fixed and update this thread, hopefully within a day or two.

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok, i have a new version for you to try.
I haven't tested this much myself, so there may still be some issues.

Please be aware this version adds a lot of debugging logging.
If youve got the file_level="0" set, the log files will grow quite quickly.

Please let me know how you go with it.

Attachments

irish56_ak

It's installed and running. I uninstalled the previous version, deleted the CC2 folder in Program Data, ran CCleaner, and restarted. Installed new version, insured CC2 USB drivers were still present and configured module/screens.

The only problem I encountered was that even though program was installed selecting "Run As Administrator" and then started from the Start Menu with 'Run As Admin' the program told me it was not run with Admin privileges and some screens would not run correctly. It was right. I got around that by creating a Task to run with highest privileges and that seems to have taken care of it.

If the program freezes/crashes I'll let you know and forward a log file.

Thanks for the help!

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok :(
Can you set the file_level=0 again, and zip up the log files after its died?
Hopefully with the new debugging info ill be able to track down whats wrong.

CF Mark

Administrator
Im looking at the logs, but honestly im having trouble work out whats going on.
It looks as if two copies of CC2 are being run at the same time??

irish56_ak

Only one instance installed. I do have two tray icons in the taskbar...one red (not running) that turns blue (running) and one green. If I hover the cursor over them the red/blue says 'CC2 config' and the green one says 'CC2 tray icon'. When I first installed the new version I only got the one icon (red/blue), but now I consistantly get the two. Occassionally, when CC2 freezes, if I try to restart via the taskbar icon a second green icon appears. When that happens I have to restart the computer. Under Admin Tools, Services, only one instance of CC2 is listed.

irish56_ak

Here's a new log file. This, after uninstalling CC2 and reinstalling. The program ran better than it had been for about 3 days...only a couple restarts needed. Today, it froze and would not restart. I deleted the log and .ini files, then reconfigured the module and restarted the computer. It started, then froze and would not restart after only a few minutes. The other attachment is the error window I got when I tried to restart from the task bar icon (after the initial error and after I had retrieved the log file). Definitely only one instance of CC2 running, as I did not try to manually start the program. It automatically started after I initially restarted the computer and only one tray icon was present, and only one module was listed on the LCD config page.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Reference the thumbnail. 'BEX' refers to Buffer Overflow Exception. After some research I found it suggested that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for the .exe files in the CC2 folder be turned off. I've done that, we'll see what happens.

Fitz

Attachments

Last edited: