A little help?

Crackers

Hey I haven't posted on here in a while, but I was wondering if someone could help me figure something out. I updated to the newest CC2 release today and didn't think to backup my current CC2 folder. That kinda made me loose some of my own screens that I have made. Thankfully I had a program to recover deleted files and I got all of them back, but one of them got a little corrupted. I tried fixing it, but its not working correctly.
Its a network screen using bar graphs. I haven't done screen editing since March or so, so I'm a little rusty and I can't figure out why this screen isn't working. The upload side of it seems to be working fine, but the down side is showing [E09] in place of the bargraph and [E01] in place of the bytes/sec. This screen use to work great and I loved watching it :)

If you happen to spot what I did wrong, please let me know.

THanks!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
Without seeing the .ini files, my guess is that some of your files lack a double \. The latest version of CC2 uses a \ as an escape character, so \\=\.

Check your cc2_perfmon.ini file, since it seems you are looking at a network related item. You should find something similar to the following:

full_name="\\Network Interface(Intel[R] PRO_1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\\Bytes Sent/sec"

The previous release of CC2 would have looked like:

full_name="\Network Interface(Intel[R] PRO_1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\Bytes Sent/sec"

I can't be positive if this is your problem, but check it out. If you can't fix it, upload your .ini files and tell which screen is going south.

Jim

Crackers

There was suppose to be attached files in that post....

I did only have single \ in my lines, but when I tried putting doubles \\ , nothing really seemed to change.

I'm putting up my screen file and perfdump for you to check out if you can.

Thanks for the help!

-Dayton

Attachments

jc634

Administrator
As far as I can tell, everything looks OK.

I substituted my adapter info into your screen and added it to my 635. Worked just fine. BTW, nice screen.;)

When you said you updated your CC2, did you install over the old release, or uninstall the old and install the new?

Also, it is possible that when you copied back you .ini files, something may not have come back correctly.

My suggestion is to:

1. Backup you current install.
2. Uninstall CC2 and delete the CC2 directory.
3. Install the latest version
4. Copy back ONLY the screens you originally had loaded to the SCREENS directory.
5. Edit the screen files (if necessary) to make sure you have \\'s where needed
6. Add your LCD Module
7. Rebuild your screens from scratch

Sounds a little drastic, but does insure everything is to the latest version and that nothing is buggered from the previous .ini files.

And BTW, I assume you have deleted/added back this particular screen with no change? It is possible that only your cc2_hbar.ini was corrupted.

If you try the delete/add method, be sure to run a uilility in your CC2_service directory (ini-cleaner.exe) to clean any junk out of your .ini files. I would delete the screen; restart CC2; run the cleaner; add back the screen.

Let me know how it goes...

Jim

Crackers

Hey it worked this time! I wonder what happened. I know that the first time I tried adding the screen, I didn't realize that my recovered file was corrupted and it causes CC2 to crash the moment I added it. I didn't think much of it though. After I remade my screen, I didn't know about the double slashes until you mentioned them too. Anyways it works, so I'm happy :)

Thanks for helping me out. Pretty soon I'm going to be finally trying out your plugin to control the screen with your keyboard and the rss reader that jgordon made (or did he do both?).

Also, one more thing. Your CPU usage bargraph screen shows my processor as running at 4 Mhz :) The older version was dead on. Any idea on that? Sorry if I'm bothering you with dumb questions :)

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Crackers said:
I know that the first time I tried adding the screen, I didn't realize that my recovered file was corrupted and it causes CC2 to crash the moment I added it.
Do you still have this file?

No INI (even if its corrupted) should crash CC2, so i would like to have a look at it and fix the problem.

Crackers

I'm pretty sure I've deleted it by now, but I'll double check when I get home from work.

It was definately my corrupted screen file crashing it. It was running fine and the moment I tried adding the screen, I'd get that nice XP error screen saying something like "CrystalControl2 has experienced an error and will now be closed". I did this 3 times and concluded it definately wasn't a coincidence.

When my file recovered, everytyhing from the 3 lines above the [from02] and up was replaced with text similar to what you'd see if you opened a compiled file in a hex editor.

I don't know if any of that info helps with the actual file. I'll post again when I get home if I still have it.

jc634

Administrator
When I first converted Crackers network info to mine, I screwed up the file.

Screwed up:

[from01]
from="cc2_perfmon.ini"
sec="perf#"
opt01="id=@02"
opt02="\\Network Interface(Intel[R] PRO_1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\\Bytes Sent/sec"
opt03="precision=1"
opt04="multiplier=.001"

Correct:

[from01]
from="cc2_perfmon.ini"
sec="perf#"
opt01="id=@02"
opt02="full_name=\\Network Interface(Intel[R] PRO_1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\\Bytes Sent/sec"
opt03="precision=1"
opt04="multiplier=.001"

I pasted over the 'full_name=' and it killed CC2 utility program when I added the screen.

I just did it now to verify. I add the screen; CC2 configuration screen disappears; the tray icon disappears; cc2_service still runs.

I start up the config utility again, which reports CC2 service is not running, which is running, The icon is red.

After a short time, the icon turns blue and all is OK.

The screen that I tried to add is not in the config screen list.

Jim

Actually, I should have said the config utility died, not CC2.:eek:

Last edited:

Crackers

I haven't emptied my recycle bin yet (which is rare that I don't) and found the file still sitting in there. I did NOT test it out again.

It may have been just the config utility dying on me. I honestly didn't check to see if the service was running. Although the systray icon did completely disappear each time.

Attachments

jc634

Administrator
YIKES!:eek:

Lots of garbage! The file had been partially written over by another one. Enough to give any program fits.

Jim

Crackers

I always manage to have strange things happen when I attempt to recover a deleted file.

Also, Jim, I was wondering if you have any idea why the cpu bargraph screen shows my cpu speed as 4 Mhz? I asked in one of my previous posts, but just thought I'd ask again incase you didn't notice. Before I updated CC2, it displayed the correct speed. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

jc634

Administrator
Crackers said:
I always manage to have strange things happen when I attempt to recover a deleted file.

Also, Jim, I was wondering if you have any idea why the cpu bargraph screen shows my cpu speed as 4 Mhz? I asked in one of my previous posts, but just thought I'd ask again incase you didn't notice. Before I updated CC2, it displayed the correct speed. Any thoughts?
Sorry for not getting back to you on this. Upload the screen file, so that I can look at it.

And you might simply delete/add it back. Perhaps this will fix it?:confused:

Jim