A few 634 questions (opinions?) before buying

rjoseph

First, I'm quite enamoured with the CFA634-YMC-KS (Yellow Negative Backlit) display, but is it fairly easy to see in somewhat bright light (ie: will I still be able to read it indoors during the daytime as long as it's not in direct sunlight?)

Also, with the PC Power to LED Backlit cable (WR232Y02), is it possible to splice in longer wires? I want to use the 6' or 10' DB9 cable to mount the LCD screen on a wall (because my computer is behind a desk out of view) but it will obviously need power as well as the serial connection.

Finally, just as a general poll, for those who have the 634, what model do you think is the best?

Thanks!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The CFA634-YMC can be read in pretty much any normal "office" type lighting situation. The backlight is quite bright.

Yes, you can lengthen the backlight power cable by splicing. Just remember that black goes to black and red to red :).

USB is often a good solution for an external display like you are considering. Just get a "USB A male" to "USB A female" extension cable to get the extra length (click here for the parts).

Personally, my favorite has to be the "TFB". Commercial sales favor the "YFB", and individual sales favor the "TMC", but there is plenty of crossing.

rjoseph

CF Tech said:
USB is often a good solution for an external display like you are considering. Just get a "USB A male" to "USB A female" extension cable to get the extra length (click here for the parts).
Why do you suggest USB over Serial? Is it because the longer the serial cable, the much slower the data transfer rate (ie: down in the 9600 baud range for the 10' cable, right?)

I ask because I would like to avoid USB if possible: I use Linux exclusively, and while I know it's possible to get the USB versions working, I'm pretty lazy and would like to avoid the work if at all possible :).

Thanks again for the help!

CF Support

Administrator
You shouldn't have any problems with the 10' cable. Much longer than that, and you'll want to make a serial cable out of an ethernet cable (we went ~800' at 19.2kpbs with one).

You shouldn't have any problem with the YMC as long as it doesn't have sunlight shining directly on it (or any 1,000,000 candlepower spotlights, etc). I use one in a normal, well-lit office environment every day and don't have any problems with it being washed out.

rjoseph

CF Support said:
we went ~800' at 19.2kpbs with one
Woah, are you serious?! What was the need for an 800 foot cable, that's pretty sweet ;)

BTW, I'd imagine that your office has a lot of cool screens up an running: how come there are no pictures of the way you guys use your own product every day? There really should be!

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Support

Administrator
Ever do anything just because you can? Well, we did. ;)

If you saw my desk, it would frighten small children and animals, and might attract some kind of enforcement to a zoning regulation on landfills, so pictures would only incriminate me on this one. :D