635 Turns off randomly

BrightShadow

I have owned my 635 for quite a while now (as long as i have been a forum member), and it has always had this problem. The lcd panel turns off at completely random times (could be on for hours or a few minutes and then it turns off). I read in other threads that people's lcd turns off and then on again, but mine just stays off until it is unplugged and replugged in. I own both the normal usb, and the usb bus interface cable (direct to motherboard), and that makes no difference.

I would really like to find out whats causing this and if there is a way to fix it, as it is quite annoying to replug it in when its connected to the motherboard. Restarting cc2 or using cc2 to restart the lcd does nothing, and remains blue when the screen turns off. Please help, thanks.
a loyal fan,
-Will Turner

P.S: another reason I want this fixed is I don't want to recommend this product to someone else until I know for sure they won't get mad at me for this issue coming up upon them as well, and quite frankly I WANT to recommend your great products. Oh and thanks for making the external version, I'll have to buy it some day.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support2

Administrator
Okay, let's start off with the basics and see if we can resolve the shutting off problem. Often times, this is due to the USB driver, although it can be a hardware issue on occasion.

What I would like to do is have you clean up the USB drivers from your system. Since there is no simple "uninstall" application for the drivers, it is a fairly complex process, but it completely removes the drivers from the system:

1) Go to device manager uninstall (remove) any Crystalfontz devices

2) From Add/Remove programs; Uninstall Crystalfontz USB drivers, then any FTDI Drivers, then any Crystal Control software (either version 1 or version 2)

3) Disconnect any Crystalfontz displays

4) FTDIClean Driver Removal Utility:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities/FTClean.zip

use Vender ID (VID) of 0403, and leave the PID blank

5) Search for "ftdi" in files named OEM*.inf in your Windows\inf\ directory. You will find at least two of them. You may need to change the folder view in order to see system files / folders. After you find the OEM files, make note of their number (ie OEM5.inf, OEM16.inf), then delete them. Then delete the corresponding OEM#.pnf files - they will have the same name, just the extension will be different.

6) Reboot your system

7) Install the Crystalfontz USB driver from the following link (Vista, Windows 7, XP):

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=crystalfontz

(you may need to use Internet Explorer to get the link to work correctly)

8) Plug in modules one at a time and configure

9) Then use appropriate WinTests (635_WinTest in your case) for each module, which you can get from here:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/635WinTest

This should eliminate any driver issues so we can continue to trouble shoot this issue if we need to.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

BrightShadow

Ok I have now completed all of that. I will leave the display plugged in and on without the CC2 software installed and see if it turns off randomly. I assume thats what you want to test first?
-Will Turner

CF Support2

Administrator
Have the module run with out CC2 for a bit, see what happens. If all is good, then do a clean install of the latest CC2. Set up a basic screen with "Have a nice day Will" or something static, let that run. The set up a second static screen with oh, system specs and alternate between them. Finally, add in some more robust screens such as a CPU usage bargraph, HDD usage and the like and alternate between all your screens.

Let us know how it goes and if need be we'll keep working on it.

BrightShadow

Ok, so far so good. It has not shut down on its own. Im about to install CC2 and proceed from there. Basic screen for a day or so first, and then start with something that updates information.
-Will

BrightShadow

With CC2 latest installed (and has been this way on previous versions), with a static text screen, it has already turned off once. Im definitely believing CC2 to be the culprit. Are there any log files I can give you to assist in diagnosing the problem?
-Will Turner

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

BrightShadow

Please tell me what I need to do from here, or if you are busy investigating please let me know that. I kinda expected a respond yesterday, but luckily im a very patient person. Anyway i'll continue to check back daily.
-Will Turner

CF Support2

Administrator
Will:

I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

Let's go ahead and set up and RMA and see if there is anything going on with your module. Please fill out the information via our on-line RMA form:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/rma

That will get a support ticket created and we'll get you and RMA number via that system and get you taken care of.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

BrightShadow

When I ship the item, what are some things to be aware of. Also do I need to send in my cable that connects to the motherboard? Thanks again. Its too bad it could not be worked out with software.
-Will Turner

Oh and PS: where do I find the serial number? is there a sticker on the device? I still have my original invoice email, would it be on there?

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
Do not worry about the serial number. Some older modules do not have one.

Please ship all cables and any accessories, one of those might be bad.