635 Lockups

madmat

My 635 keeps locking up. I've tried changing the port numbers (from 5 to 2 back to 5) in the USB software and no love.

It's really bugging the heck out of me, it'll lock up in anywhere from a half hour to three hours requiring a hard reboot of my PC to get it to where the CC2 software will start fuctioning again. I've tried disabling it in device manager to force it to reboot he module and it just locks up device manager which leads me to the opinion that there's an issue with the module itself.

Any ideas?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The port number probably would not make much difference.

Can you do a diagnostic for me?

1) Wait until it locks up. Then stop CC2 (or kill it in task manager if it is non-responsive).

2) Use 635_WinTest to try to talk to the display. If 635_WinTest complains that the port is "in use" just wait. Do not unplug or kill anything in device manager. This is an artifact of the USB drivers being surprised that the software was removed. Wait up to 30 minutes (not joking) to see if the port frees up.

4) If/when the port frees up, see if the display will communicate with 635_WinTest.

Then let me know:

A) The port never frees up even after 30 minutes of CC2 being stopped/killed

B) The port frees up but 635_WinTest cannot talk to the display

C) The port frees up and 635_WinTest can talk to the display

Then we will try to come up with a plan. I am not opposed to replacing hardware if we need to, but I want to rule out software first--it would be silly to swap the display and still have the trouble ;)

madmat

I'll give it a shot as soon as it locks up again. So far it's being OK but I know it's a matter of time. My thinking on changing ports was in case it was some sort of conflict with the ports not a software issue, well, not a CF software issue but more an OS issue.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks! :)

madmat

Ok, it's done it again and I've killed the software in question (CC2) and it's been nearly 5 hours since then and it still hasn't released the unit.
Wintest shows it as in use and it's still displaying the last thing it was displaying when it locked up (SCAB temps) although they're not the only thing I've had it set to when it's locked up previously.

I'm at my wits end here, it works fine for days then it locks up every few hours or so.

CF Tech

Administrator
If you look in task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc, click on "Processes") is there any CC2 process in there at all?

madmat

Email sent although I don't have an invoice. I lost whatever info I got with the module when I moved recently and it was a review sample so I have no sales reciept.

madmat

Today I tried going back to the old USB drivers. I was using the latest version from your site, the cf-usb-2154b and I switched over to the cf-usb-2134 that I had on my HDD already and which were the same ones I used in my review. I dunno why I didn't think of this sooner but I'll see where this leads.

Thanks for your help so far.

jc634

Administrator
FWIW, whenever I've had similar types of problems, I've almost always traced to a USB cable. Could be simply bad (they are VERY delicate), or might be "slightly" unplugged.

Best thing is to reinsert both ends and see if that takes care of the problem. If not, and you have an extra cable laying around, switch 'em out.

Jim

madmat

On visual inspection I can't find anything wrong with the cable, it's never been used before (I'm using the internal cable and it was packed up in it's original packaging) and it's fully plugged in. The screen is freezing into a snapshot of the last thing it was doing and the drivers won't release the module and unplugging the cable from the module won't make the module reset until the SCAB is powered down.

jc634

Administrator
Got an external cable? I haven't used an internal cable in a long time (too many LCD's, so I use a USB hub). The hub is actually inside the computer!:p

When I did use an internal one, I vaguely remember having some problems once in awhile. Try an external, just to see if the problem goes away.

Jim

madmat

Yes I have an external but no way to hook it up. I'm using all my ports and my hub. I can't see how it'd help but I'll give it a shot in the morning...Battlestar is on now :D

jc634

Administrator
Ah, but you can never have too many USB ports.;)

I have 4 on the back side, a 4-port hub (which is internal), 2 on top, 2 on the front, and a 7-port hub in my external water-cooling componets case!:D

Jim

madmat

I swapped out the cable nearly 2hrs ago and so far so good, I'm hoping it is just the cable although I can't see how it could make any difference.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

Heffo

I can't see how it could make any difference.
Well, if the cable is dodgy, the power to the unit could be full of noise and the microcontroller on the unit could lock-up because of it. The data lines for the USB could also be bad corrupting the comms to the PC then the unit gets a bad command from the PC and it locks up trying to process it.

madmat

9hrs, 51ms & 23s after I swapped the cable the display locked up again so the internal cable wasn't the issue. Thanks for trying Jim.