634XE Malfunction, Please Please Help!

Spiked

.. sigh...

ok long post but have to do it..

Just got a 634Xe from a friend of mine ... he said it was working for him and of course it was... anyways...

i downloade the drivers and the crystalcontrol program...

isntalled the drivers the first time... plugged in the lcd and was working.. than it started to do random resets and restart every now and than...

so i decided to reinstall it onto a different port so i uninstalled the drivers, and the crystal control, than reinstalled drivers... and crystal control... this time all hell breaks loose...

i restarted my pc and the lcd didnt power on, crystalcontrol started and got an error messege.. COM4 Init Failed or whatever.. i added a link to the pic..

so i decided to reinstall on last time..

windows xp pro + sp2 would recognize the device and kept calling it unknown device.. on top of that the device didnt even power up... anyways... the uninstaller would go thru and i would get an uninstalling error..

C:\windows\system32\ftdiunk.ini not found or somethin along that line...

anyways here's the link of the pic of the first time it didnt power on..

Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
If you plug it in now, does it show up in the device manager?

Does it get show up in device manager as "Crystalfontz CFA-634" when you plug it in? What if you try different ports?

If you can get it to show up as "Crystalfontz CFA-634" in device manager, then try pointing it to these drivers:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/backlight/cfusb2154b.zip

It it will only show up as "unknown device" you can still try to point it to those drivers, but I do not think it will help.

Give that a try and post back.

Spiked

nomatter what i try it comes up unknown device.

ive tried all 4 usb ports.. it keeps coming up unknown device, and is there any special way to install the beta drivers, because i keep getting the uninstaller every time i try to run the beta installer, and it keeps saying

ERROR FTDIUN2K.INI not found.

and will it only power on if the drivers are there? because the drivers wont uninstall properly and i cant get a correct install.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
Those are not beta, just the "b" release of the INIs included with the standard 2154 DLLs.

I do not know what might have happened. If your USB ports are wired to the motherboard, I guess there might be some wiring problem on one of them that toasted the LCD.

Have you tried a full power cycle? Could be one of the USB chips went into "protect" mode and is waiting for a power cycle to reset. That happened to me on a laptop once.

After the power cycle, before you try the LCD, use some other known good USB device to make sure all the ports are good.

Then, all that is left to do is write support(at)crystalfontz(dot)com with your invoice number and see if they can help you out.

Spiked

so how do i use those new drivers? do i install the 2134 than copy those into that folder? or what? and as for powercycle how do i do that?

CF Tech

Administrator
To use the drivers, just do an "Update Driver" in device manager.

But I do not think it is going to work if the display is showing up as "unknown device".

By power cycle, I just mean shut your PC down for 30 seconds and then fire it back up.

Spiked

yah i tried a power cycle just now and didnt work, no matter what i seem to do the dang thing still will get recognized as unknown device. and all 4 usb ports are working, i switched my usb mouse that i use to each port and it recognized it every time.

i just think its dead in the water. i dont think it can get recognized because it cant get power so which means its dead :( anyways, i have to find some way to rma because i got it from a friend and he got it as a gift for his birthday >.<

CF Tech

Administrator
We just need to be able to find the order number . . . the original e-mail of who placed the order, their phone number . . . .

Spiked

yah like that will happen, is there a way i can just use my friends info who recently purhcased one?

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad