634 Works: but get scrambled output

Jerry Adams

First, I was amazed at how fast you shipped the order to me. I ordered it friday late or even saturday morning and it was delivered tuesday. Superb!

I was a little confused at first but got the com ports and baud rates straight. I bought a PCI USB/Firewire combo card with internal headers for the connection to my computer (I needed the internal firewire for an orphaned front port connector on my case).
I think I screwed up the modem's com port when first trying to install the LCD and have not yet straigtened it out.

Now to the 634 problem. Crystal control or some other program is sending garbage characters (mostly down arrows but some graphics) to the display constantly. Win test works properly most of the time but not on all patterns. I got the scroll to work with my inputed text. I think the problem is with crystal control because I have turned it off on start up in order to get win test to work. When turned on; the junk character stream begins. I have managed to get parts of crystal control to work right; display user text and not garbage but it is hit or miss.

Does this sound like operator headspace or is it a real problem?

:confused:
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:
USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Support

Administrator
The garbage characters are 99.9% of the time caused by a mis-match in the baud rate. If both of the DIP switches are up on the back of the module, talk to it at 19.2k.

If that doesn't fix it, then we can open a support ticket and get it resolved.

WillGonz

I have seen some machines that once had a UPS connected to it and was still assigned to that com port. When you hook up your LCD Display and the USB Driver creates a virtual com port, you might get weird stuff on your display.

WillGonz
________
ZX14 vs Hayabusa

Last edited:

Jerry Adams

I'll recheck the baud rate I turned it down to 9600 because i thought that was what i was supposed to do but did not check the dipswitch positions on back. This will probably fix it. BTW: I thought I read a thread about win-doze sending stuff to check the device getting taken for input databy the controller but no one mentioned that.

Now the modem problem at home is more annoying. I believe the baud rate there is the problem too. I think it is being talked to at the same rate the LCD is. AOL made ten attempts in less than a second to send out and the OS Windows 98SE does not even recognize that a modem is there. I tried reseting the com port manually. I tried deleting them all and deleting the LAN and Network adapters then cold booting. I even Formatted the C drive and reinstalled everything after physically removing every PCI card and moving them around. I reloaded all motherboard drivers and lowered the Bios setting to optimized defaults from my overclocked ones. I even put in a new modem.

Anyone else accidentally mess up thier modem when installing the display? If so what fixes it?

System Specs: (Suuuuuuper Computerrrrr (tm) )

AMD Athlon 3000+ Barton core 2.16 GHZ (OC'ed to 2.5 @49 deg. Celsius due to TEK cooling)
Soyo Systems KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Main Board
256K 233DDR memory (Pending upgrade to 1G Corsair XMS DDR 434)
Albatron Medusa TI4200 PV turbo Video Card (OC'ed)
USA Robotics Pro V92 Fax/modem
SIIG USB/Firewire Host Adapter
Thermaltake subzero 4 Thermo-electric Peltier junction cooler
Skyhawk / Jupiter aluminum premodded case*

*Note: getting the crystalfontz 634 display kind of made the case decision more than absolutely redundant, but it looked cool at the time. I may get a new case. It'll have to wait until I get a Raid 0 Stripped array with twin 80GB *meg buffered HDs as the next to last components of my little project.

Last edited:

Jerry Adams

WillGonz said:
I have seen some machines that once had a UPS connected to it and was still assigned to that com port. When you hook up your LCD Display and the USB Driver creates a virtual com port, you might get weird stuff on your display.

WillGonz
I don't have a UPS, per se, but the TEK cooling system has a powersupply/intelligent regulator to prevent overcooling or over heating and condensation which sits in a PCI slot. (It has its own power cord and does not draw power from my computer power supply (a Kingwin 520W)). I had no modem problems with it installed though prior to moving things around to make room for a USB/Firewire host adapter for the display and tinkering with the com port settings in the display software for the 634.

Jerry Adams

I just got the modem working. It needed Com port 5 which I earlier attached to one of the Display controller software and did not show up after I re-installed the OS. I am now wokring out the final glitches with the 634 lcd display. It appears the baud rate was the problem. From reading threads I thought it needed to be set at 9600 for some reason. As soon as I set all the software I down loaded to the proper rate it should work properly. Some of the software already does.