634 usb problem getting started

Lawnmowerman

Hello all, just received my CFA-634 today, followed all the steps for installing the drivers, and crystal control2. The LCD will power up and show the crystalfontz logo, but when CC starts, it is always lit up red rather than blue as the instructions said it should be. The unit shows as being on com3, but wintest says it can't open com3. I reopened CC and couldn't get a lot figured out, and then just typed some text in the 4 lines it gives you and that showed up on screen. So it appears that CC knows it's there, but I can't seem to get anything else to happen at this point, and don't know what simple step I've missed. Any help is appreciated, as this thing is very cool and I can't wait to get it functioning correctly. Thanks! Oh another thing also, I have the CFA-634 boot screen program also, and the virtual display part shows what I put in, but when I tell it to test(soft reboot), it pops up a box instantly telling me I just tested my boot screen yet nothing happened.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
Hi,

One thing to check is your baud rate. In the CC2 configuration screen, click on the module configuation screen. You should see a screen like below. The baud rate needs to be set to 19200. Also, you will notice that the COM Port has CFA-634 in the description.

This is a common problem when setting up a module, but not the only one. If all is set correctly in this screen, reply back and I am sure that the problem can be solved.:)

Jim

Attachments

Lawnmowerman

OK, I guess I could have supplied a little more info than I did ;) . I had CC installed BEFORE the module was, but before I installed the usb drivers, I made sure I exited CC. The LCD shows up in both places in device manager; under com port and usb. The DIP switches on back are set for 19200, it's set for 19200 in CC, and the com port "bits per second" setting is also set for 19200, although I had to change the port to that, as it was originally 9600. I even uninstalled and reinstalled CC, and that didn't change it. In CC, I added 2 new screens, so I have 3, with some text, and it is cycling through all 3, so I know it CAN communicate somewhat. Also, I finally figured out that there were some built-in screens, which took me awhile (DOH!) and those will cycle the text, but I can't get any real info to show up. I do have speedfan installed, as I've read here that's required, but also don't know how to make the 2 communicate. Thought about it last nite in bed, and was going to check a few things before work this morning and already 2 replies! Wow! I definately picked the right product and company! Thanks. (Getting closer to it working with help :D )

Lawnmowerman

Well, got home from work today and thought maybe the best thing would be to start from scratch. Shut down CC2, uninstalled it and the usb/serial drivers, and unplugged the display. At the end of the uninstall, a box popped up with the following contents:

Error, file not found

C:\WINDOWS\system32\FTDIUN2K.INI

Press Finish to exit.

Reinstalled the usb drivers, then went to the next step, connecting the display. Well at this step, where windows is supposed to recognize the display, nothing happens. I tried different usb ports, and still nothing. Soooo, apparently I took 1 step forward and 3 steps back, as now I can do nothing at all, so apparently I corrupted something filewise. I just recently performed a reformat, and I'll do it again if that's what it's going to take to get this straightened out, as it's no big deal to do. Hope you guys have some help for a big dummy.:rolleyes:

CF Tech

Administrator
You definitely should not have to reformat.

If it comes up at all in device manager, just reload its drivers.

The time to worry is if it does not come up in device manager, or if it shows up as a generic "USB Device" or "USB to serial". In that case something hardware has failed.

As long as it shows up as "CFA . . . " then there is just some software issue.

Lawnmowerman

Ok, I got the few issues straightened out. Drivers installed, display connected and reconized, port settings done. Ran wintest and ran it through all the demo modes and it was fine. Installed CC2 and configured the LCD.

One thing I didn't realize at first is if CC2 was running, that's why wintest couldn't open the port ;)

Now, when CC2 is running, is the systray icon supposed to turn blue, or was that in an older version? Mine stays red all the time, but it does seem to be working. In fact, I loaded 2 of the default screens; the time/date and the cpu/hd/mem? usage screen, and it found that info by itself and seems to be displaying that all correctly.

I also have the boot screen config software, and now I can get it to display whatever message I put in when I test it, but I can't get it to store it in the EEPROM. Whenever I reboot, it still shows the CF logo screen.

I have other questions on getting stuff running and configured, but don't want to overwhelm my help at this point, so I'll just take stuff one step at a time.

Thanks again for the patience and help!

CF Tech

Administrator
I'm glad that you got it going

I do not know much about CC2. Maybe post the icon question over in the CC2 forum, I'm sure someone there will have an answer.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad