633 questions, power ...

antoin

Hi there,

I am looking for a small display and control unit like the ones you sell. I saw that yours were recommended (http://www.yak.net/fqa/220.html).

My setup is a little bit unusual, because I'm not fitting it to a regular PC. I want to fit it to a vehicle tracking unit which has two serial ports (which i can control using a built-in scripting language). The whole unit is connected over GPRS (mobile phone) to the server.

What my company is developing is a system for passenger information on bus systems. The unit is supposed to allow the driver to check that the unit is programmed for the correct route, and reset it if necessary. I'm at the prototyping stage.

I obviously need some sort of cover for the unit, so I guess I'll need a mounting kit too, though I'll have to adapt it somehow.

As for the serial cable, I take it that the Y08 model would be suitable (my vehicle tracking unit has male connectors)?

I am also wondering about power. Is there any way to power the 633's logic from the serial port? This would be a lot more convenient for me. Or is the power requirement just too great?

Finally, is there a particular colour LCD display that is more legible than the others? Is the blue LCD legible without the backlight?

kind regards,

Antoin.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Tech

Administrator
We can probably jumper a CFA-633 to meet your needs--it can be jumpered to receive +5v and +12v on the serial connector. You will need a supply besides the serial port though, the serial port cannot power the CFA-633.

Please give us a call and we can discuss the details.

antoin

Hi there, thanks for the quick response! I will give you a call on Thursday. I am in Ireland so I will call in the afternoon.

On the face of it, it would probably be better not to power the unit over the rs232 cable if the rs232 port isn't going to be able to handle it.