633 Firmware

Shadow

My 633 lcd has the 0.4 firmware and i notice that 0.6 is now listed as being on the website, however i cant find a download link or anywhere that I might find out HOW to upgrade

Whats up with this? :p
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The 633 must be returned to Crystalfontz to upgrade the firmware.

The policy is:

1) you ship it here, at your expense (call to get an RMA first)

2) we upgrade it at no charge

3) we will ship it back by ground at our expense (if you want premium shipping, you can pay to upgrade the return shipping)

Shadow

Ouch, thats a pain in the ass. Whats the point in advertising "Built-in re-programmable microcontroller" if we have to send it back to get the latest upgrades? =P

No way you guys would be willing to let me sign an NDA + no-reverse-engineering/hacking agreement and send me the firmware? I write php code for a living, I know what its like to want to protect your code but this is a bit of a pain.

Thanks

Shadow

also, is there a changelog anywhere of the firmware so i can tell if i wanna bother getting the upgrades or not?

Shadow

btw, am i reading the documentation right in that if the power supply is off (when using the atx features) that the display is also off? I'd like to see it show the default display, that way we could have it showing temperatures and stuff anyways =)

CF Tech

Administrator
Originally the firmware was to be upgradeable over the serial port.

The display is "on" (powered by Vsb) when the PC is off, but it blanks its display if the sense line is high. It also changes the function of the keys depending on the state of the sense line.

Customers found it disconcerting to see the display active on a computer that is "off". I suppose you could manually switch the sense line to be able to see the temps if the PC is off.

The backlight is powered by the +12v line, so it is typically off if the sense is low anyway.

Sorry, but we cannot let the code out of house. You would need programming hardware anyway.

Shadow

Oh well, looks like i'm sending in my lcd then, thanks for the help.

Any chance you guys woudl be willing to put a firmware changelog up on the 633 site so we can tell if its actually worth sending it in or not? Pointless to send em in if we dont need the extra features/bug fixes.

tommy

Firmware change log?

Is there somewhere firmware change log for 633?

My 633 is at level 0.4 and all the manuals (CFA_633_0_6.PDF) seems to be for firmware version 0.6.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad