633 backlight

JSchuricht

I have had my 633 for several years now. Unfortunately, the backlight is no longer producing enough light to read the LCD. What would it cost to fix this? Who should I contact?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

JSchuricht

To answer my own question, partly… they are listed as white edge LEDs in the data sheet.

If it helps any, with a bench power supply I am getting 5.11v at the floppy connector, and (left to right according to pic) 9.9v, 5.87v, 5.89v, 1.92v to ground and 4.04v, 3.99v on the individual leds. What should the voltages be?

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

JimBowen

I think you'll find the answer to your question in this thread.
I predict I will have the same problem with my LCD in the not-too-distant future, as all of the blue/white LCDs burn out after ~= 6 months of full-brightness backlight use. ;_;

JSchuricht

I removed the old LED’s. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the LED’s are running series with a 12v supply. Aren’t the LED’s typically ~3v ea? I would think that giving them 6v ea would burn them out quickly.

JSchuricht

Went with the Panasonic LNJ026X8BRA. The LCD is legible once again.

For anyone attempting this, I used a Weller SES50 @600°F with a 1/64” long conical tip. The area that I ran into trouble in was rotating the LED’s so the polarity was correct. I found that the continuity setting on my multimeter would power the LED which made it easy to determine which end was positive and negative.

CF Tech, what brand LED’s are stock on the 633?