632 Serial Display problems

vkakula

I have a V1.2 Serial 632 display. Model number is SKD162-632SG-LG. Using the crystal control software I can display various information on the display. However when I connect the data in line from the seven pin solder pad to the TX line of my MCU the display does not respond. I understand that the MCU puts out inverted data and I have closed Jumper B. I have connected +5 to Vdd, ground to Vss and left Led+ unconnected. No cigar.

Here is the kicker when I applied +5 to Led+ all my commands coming in through data in (0-5v) were understood by the display and I was able to write characters and such. However when I reduce the backlight brightness by sending command 14 the display returns to the previous state of not responding to my commands. I understand that the backlight is PWM driven and that there may be noise but I shouldn't have this problem when the backlight isn't powered at all.

What am I missing? I don't want to use the backlight since it draws excessive power for an embedded application yet I don't want to use an RS232 driver IC since the 632 is advertised to accept 0-5v signals on the data in line.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Web

Administrator
Try closing JPE on the module, as that sets the logic levels to 0-5v. Just connecting to pin 4 does not change the levels.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad