631 - Serial

Charly

May be a stupid question,

I love character (with no spacing) and ROM defined charaters of this LCD :D

I would like to interface it with microprocessor (PIC) ;)

I know it's working with serial and usb is just a wrapper but is there a way using it without USB and use it with 0/+5V RX & TX ?

thank's :eek:
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
It is physically possible, but we would have to charge a fee to modify the firmware. For one unit, it probably would not be practical. If you were going to do a bunch of units, then it could probably be feasible.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

Charly

Thank you for your response.

Is that mean that the microprocessor unit on the PCB does not work with a standart UART ?

Thinked that is could be possible so solder my RX and TX directly on the good pins of 631 PCB and unsolder the RX and TX coming out from the FTDI chip.

Of course this operation may loose my waranty, I'm aware of this.

CF Tech

Administrator
It depends on how many you want to make. If it is just one, then a hack like you propose will be easiest.

If you want to make a bunch, we could make the UART talk to the expansion header with custom firmware.

Charly

Well, in fact it's just to one or two model. So may be the hack the best solution in my case.

You mention that with custom firmware you are able to have this on the expansion header.
Is that mean (not entering the secret of gods) that the RX and TX pins protocol is done with software and are not dependent of hardware pins of the microprocessor unit ?

Is the microprocessor unit you use is customized for you or it is a standard CPU device like pic or amtel ?

thanks

CF Tech

Administrator
The micro on the CFA-633 and CFA-631 is "like a PIC or AVR" in some respects, but it is not either one (ewwww . . . how could anyone use a PIC and be serious? bleh!). Anyway, the micro on the CFA-631 can have up to two hardware UARTs and their pinouts can be assigned to pretty much any pin.