631 and Software for Linux

xtort

Ok I just ordered my 631 for my shuttle, running RH9.0 I've noticed that LCDPROC is gone! Is there any support for the 631 line on a linux platform? My display hasn't shipped yet, and I would like the oportunity to cancel if it won't be usable! I build PC's with only Linux, so unfortunately I can't use the currently available tools.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

Pauly
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
LCDproc is still around. You have to bypass the protest page:

http://www.lcdproc.org/?continue=yes

You should be able to lie to LCDproc, and tell it you have a CFA-633 set to 115200 baud on the virtual COM port created by the USB driver. This will make the CFA-631 emulate a CFA-633.

The LCDproc crew will be putting together a "real" CFA-631 driver shortly.

xtort

Thank you!

Thank you for the quick reply! I can't wait to start testing my set top box with the new display!

Pauly

xtort

Com port and USB

Forgive the newb question, but when you say virtual com port created by the USB driver, is that the USB driver that I am currently using under linux or a driver I need to install from you(CF)? Thanks.

CF Mark

Administrator
The drivers in the Linux kernel should work fine.
Depending on how its currently setup, you have have to recompiler the kernel though to enable the drivers that are needed.

H2O fiend

CrystalControl Admin said:
The drivers in the Linux kernel should work fine.
Depending on how its currently setup, you have have to recompiler the kernel though to enable the drivers that are needed.
On all the installs of Mandrake 9.2 I've done the USB drivers are loaded automagically. :D

I think that there were also under Redhat 8.(whatever the latest version is), but they didn't work under Redhat ES.

I prefer Mandrake myself (it's what my folding@home farm uses).

Forgot to add that I couldn't get LCDproc to work with the 631 - works great with the 634's tho!

Last edited:

mhaag

USB Ports in Debian

I'm having a heck of a time getting the USB ports compiled into the kernel.

The kernel compiles ok and LCD panel lights up, but there's no dev file to address the LCD. I found a post on the net suggesting that I can build it myself "mknod /dev/usb/lcd c 180 144". I confirmed that the major & minor node numbers are correct? Any ideas?

Running 2.4.24 as a kernel. Edited the ftdi_sio.h file to include support for the 631 LCD, but didn't seem to help.

Someone help a lost sole...how to compile in USB support (I did internal kernel lib's not externally loaded modules).

Cheers,
Mike

galcaraz

mhaag:

you can build usb devices yourself with mknod command, but the minor number is not 144. I'am using the following command:
mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
mknod /dev/ttyUSB2 c 188 2

the first lcd attached to usb port is asigned to ttyUSB0, the second to ttyUSB1 and so on.

You can access the 631 LCD via /dev/ttyUSB0 like a normal serial port.

In the kernel, You must edit both ftdi_sio.h and ftdi_sio.c.

---
galcaraz

schdefan

Can CFA-631 display my music titles

Hi!
I am building a headless MP3-player under debian using the CFA-631.

Has someone an idea how to display title or playlist information on the display and having control over the buttons to start, stop and skip title?

I tried the test program from galcaraz library and works fine. Maybe this is what I need for my player but there is not docu on how to use the lib?

Thanks in advance

schdefan