Driver installation fails on Windows 8 64-bit

gschizas

I'm guessing something is wrong or has changed with the driver signatures, as when I'm trying to install the drivers on Windows 8 64-bit, I'm getting the following message:

Code:
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Crystalfontz CFA636-USB

The has for the file is not present in the specified catalog file. The file is likely corrupt or the victim of tampering.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support2

Administrator
On a recent Windows 8 install, the driver installed without any issues for a CFA635. The driver is certified for all current releases of Windows.

Did you use the "fixed" driver we have, or did you let Windows update grab the file?

gschizas

On a recent Windows 8 install, the driver installed without any issues for a CFA635. The driver is certified for all current releases of Windows.

Did you use the "fixed" driver we have, or did you let Windows update grab the file?
I'm using CFA_2.08.14_WHQL_Modified.zip from here

I didn't use Windows Update for it (actually, I did, but it didn't find anything). The installation is pretty new here as well (I've only installed Windows 8 for about 2-3 weeks now).

CF Support2

Administrator
The modified drivers will not work with Windows8 - we've tried.

Try going to the Device manager, right clicking on the CFA634 (starting with the USB, not the VCP), right click, and then "update drivers". Windows should use update and pull in the WHQL driver for you. You'll may need to do the same on the VCP (virtual COM port).

gschizas

The modified drivers will not work with Windows8 - we've tried.

Try going to the Device manager, right clicking on the CFA634 (starting with the USB, not the VCP), right click, and then "update drivers". Windows should use update and pull in the WHQL driver for you. You'll may need to do the same on the VCP (virtual COM port).
Strangely enough, the USB was installed properly. The problem is with the VCP (I think at least - I'm guessing the VCP is the one with FTDI in its hardware id). Windows update doesn't help, unfortunately.

gschizas

A clarification: The "Crystalfontz CFA635-USB" device (with hardware id "USB\VID_0403&PID_FC0D&REV_0600") installs correctly. The "USB Serial Port" device (with hardware id FTDIBUS\COMPORT&VID_0403&PID_FC0D) does not. The message I get from the second device when I try to install it "automatically" (from Windows Update) is the following:

Windows was unable to install your USB Serial Port
Windows could not find driver software for your device
If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software

asampson

I'm having the same problem with the same model after 'upgrading' to Windows 8.

Any news on a fix for the lack of VCP drivers? My customized boot logo looks quite nice, but I miss my old screens.

TheScream

Mine was even more weird. Clean Windows 8 install. Windows running ok.. get a few things installed... reboot... all ok so far... Windows Update not run yet... join domain... reboot.. BSOD. Fault in ftdibus.sys. Unplug the CrystalFontz and it boots.

Any thoughts?

asampson

I have resolved the issue - my 635 now works on Windows 8 with CrystalControl 2!

I was in the same boat as gschizas - the Crystalfontz device installed properly, but the USB serial port child device was driverless. To resolve that, I installed the latest FTDI drivers from here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. Next, in Device Manager I opened the update driver wizard and selected "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". The driver was under "Ports (COM & LPT)" and the manufacturer was FTDI.

There was the standard warning about the driver potentially not matching the device, but after installing it I was able to start the CCService service up and my display was restored to its previous fully-functional glory!

Peterdane59s

1. Compatibility Mode: Try installing the driver in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows, such as Windows 7. Right-click on the installer, choose "Properties," navigate to the "Compatibility" tab, and select an appropriate compatibility mode.
  2. Update Windows: Make sure your Windows 8 installation is up-to-date with the latest updates and service packs. Sometimes, driver issues can be resolved by updating the operating system.