Crystal Control Service Does not start

pfostini

I am new to the use of Crystal Fontz displays, but I am learning.

I seem to have a problem getting CC2 to start ( 635 displays ) after the server starts up or resumes from sleep/hibernate. I am using Windows Home Server ( Based on Server 2003 ). What I am finding is that The CC2 service does not start automatically ( even though it is set to automatic ). The Tray Icon will remain red. I can start the service manually and all is well but that means I have to log onto the server all the time to do this.

My goal is to use the displays to monitor the servers from client computers using an RF USB extender.

Last night I learned how to program the ini files to work with the LEDs. Worked great!

Today I am tackling the services autostart problem.

Any help would be appreciated

Phil
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
hmmm. I have had no problems with auto-start on my WHS with my 635 and 631 when doing a full start-up. I do not use sleep/hibernate, but I will try it and see what happens.

My 1st questions, tho, is what CC2 version are you using and what USB driver version are you using?

That would be a start for debugging...

edit: btw, I assume you are using an add-in for sleep/hibernate? Which one?

pfostini

The CC2 Version I am using is release 20070812 Build 928. The USB drivers are version 2.2.4.0, I think I have it right. The server is a Supermicro X5DA8 dual Xeon serverboard. Very Stable ( except for Vol. sys unhealthy warning many people seem to have).

WHS has been running real well for me. So since it has been stable throughout RC1, I decided to purchase and install the RTM. Anyway, I installed the Add-on " lights out ". With that you can tell it when there is no activity the server will hibernate or sleep ( except to run demigrator etc. ). I am not sure if CC2 had a problem prior to this because I hardly shut the server down.

BTW, It was your WHS forum posts that prompted me to use ChrystalFontz. Last night I used your .ini file examples to work with the LEDS.

Phil

jc634

Administrator
OK.

1. Just to clarify: CC2 does not start from a cold boot? Check your services, just to be sure CC2 is set there correctly. Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Make sure the CC2 Service Startup Type is set to automatic.

2. Assumming CC2 is auto and CC2 does not start from a cold boot (please verify again). Then, uninstall Lights Out, restart the machine and see what happens. It is always possible that the LO code does some flakey thing.

3. D/L the latest version: https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=5767. You should be able to install over the existing and not lose data, but it always a good idea to save ALL your ini files first, just to make sure you do not lose any hard work!;)

4. I am running the same USB drivers on my WHS as you. I have been running a newer version of the USB drivers on my Vista machine for awhile, v2.04.06. I have not tried them on my WHS yet (lazy!), but if needed, I will do so to make sure they work and U/L them here. Slim chance that they would be a problem, but you never know...:)

BTW, I have the same "unhealthy" warning you get once in awhile. I do a repair and all is well. Just kind of annoying, tho.

Question: what add-in's are you using? I have:

- Advanced Admin Console
- Client Info
- Disk Management
- DupeCleaner
- Event Viewer
- Program Launcher

plus the F-Secure Beta. I plan on trying some others, but I'm kind of in a holding pattern waiting for the PP1 updates (x64 and corruption bug).

Anyway, go thru the list above, let me know how it goes. If I have to, I will install LO and see what happens.

pfostini

Update

I ran a few tests.

CC2 does start from a cold boot. It does not restart from a hibernate or standby mode. It does not matter if Lights out is installed or not. I did install the newer version of CC2, still the same issue as above. I am doing all these tests at the server.

The CC2 services are set correctly. I noticed when I was programming the LED's and playing with .ini files, somewhere along the line I lost the CrystalFontz logo screen that starts when the display is powered up. I instead have a frozen display of something I was playing with. Where did the default crystalfontz screen go? I would like to have a screen on power up that says something like "WHS is starting - Please Wait...."

I have 2 635 displays on WHS one has a SCAB board on it. That does have the default screen and that also does not start when WHS returns from hibernate or standby.

The add-ins I have running are

WOL
Disk Management
Whiist
HS Toolkit
Asoft Autoexit - This is the same as WOL, I am just not sure which works better
Remote email notifier
Lights Out Event Viewer

The Server is JBOD Mix

Sys is SCSI 360 gb
4 drives are IDE 500 gb x 5
5 are external SATA 1 TB x 5

The Disk Management add-in helps with giving the drives a physical location

I just purchased 2 of the external displays in white background for sitting on top of my Vista Machine.

jc634

Administrator
CC2 can save the boot screen or you can use wintest. Here is one link: https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=5385&highlight=boot about it. I have had no need to change the boot screen, so don't look to me as an "expert".:( BTW, you must have hit the "Save Boot State" in CC2 while you were playing...:p

There have been several posts about sleep/hibernate problems with CC2. I thought that CCadmin had fixed them, but perhaps not.

FWIW, I do remember trying sleep on my Vista machine (once). CC2 (version ???) did work, IIRC.

Last edited:

pfostini

Log Files Attached

I deleted the log files and did the following,

Opened Logprefs.ini
Set file_level setting to 1 and saved
Started CC2
CC2 running normal :)
Put server into sleep state
restarted server
Notice- CC2 did not start :(
went to tray and manually started CC2
Ran Normal again :)
Stopped CC2
Collected Log Files
Zipped and shipped :rolleyes:

Question,? when changing file_level to 1 should it be changed back now that I finished? What should it be set at? I should have written it down. :confused:

This early in the morning I tend to use a lot of smilies

Attachments

CF Mark

Administrator
Thankyou for the last message, it does help a lot.

Would you be willing to test a debugging version that does a bit more logging?
Itll help me to work out whats going wrong.

Sorry for the problems.

jc634

Administrator
Question,? when changing file_level to 1 should it be changed back now that I finished? What should it be set at? I should have written it down. :confused:
This is the default file:

; CC2 logging levels
;
; LOG_DEBUG 0
; LOG_NOTICE 1
; LOG_WARNING 2
; LOG_ERROR 3
; LOG_CRITICAL 4
[logging]
console_level=2
file_level=2
system_level=3

pfostini

I will test the debug version

Sure, no problem. I would be happy to help :)
Zip it up and send it on over.

Thanks jc634 for the file info, I printed it out this time.

pfostini

Boot Screen

You are correct. I did hit the save boot screen. So I went back in and corrected it. It now says " Windows Home Server is Starting Please wait". Since the server is a few stories down and the dispaly is in my office I can glance over and see if the server has started or not.

CF Mark

Administrator
Sorry for the delay...
Attached is a couple of new files that log some extra information.

Can you stop CC2, copy in the new files, then do the testing procedure you did above when you attached the log files.

BTW.... after you come back from a suspend, give CC2 ~60sec to start.
If it doesnt start after that long, then there is a problem.

Thanks.

Attachments

pfostini

New Log Files Attached

I followed the same procedure as before

I deleted the log files and did the following,

Opened Logprefs.ini
Set file_level setting to 1 and saved
Started CC2
CC2 running normal
Put server into sleep state
restarted server
Notice- CC2 did not start
went to tray and manually started CC2
Ran Normal again
Stopped CC2
Collected Log Files
Zipped and shipped

CC2 did not restart, I gave it about 2 minutes. :confused:
Here are the new log files

Attachments

CF Mark

Administrator
Thanks for that.

So the service is stopping like its meant to.... but it seems it isnt being signaled by windows to restart on resume.
Ill have to do more digging.

RTAdams89

Just wanted to let you know I have the same issue.

CC2 starts up fine off of a cold boot/restart. However, when resuming from sleep, the service never starts up automatically.

I am using the latest CC2/drivers on Vista x64.

As a temporary work around, I have created a scheduled task which runs "on workstation unlock" (since I have to unlock my computer when it resumes from standby/sleep). The task runs the command "net start cc2service", which starts the CC2 service. Not that graceful, but it sort of helps.

AmigaDude

Personally I don't put my WHS to sleep, so I can't test this. But, a possible workaround might be to have Windows restart the service. Go to services (I'm doing this from memory so might be a little off), by going to:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
or
Run services.msc

Either way, doubleclick the ccservice entry and go to the Recovery tab. First, Second and Subsequent should be on the default of No Action. I'd suggest changing the First to Restart the Service, and leave the Restart Service after to 1 minute.

This just might be an easy workaround, and won't hurt anything even if it fails.