CC2 says 'service not running' - BUT IT IS RUNNING

khannoorb

I've got a strange problem. I've installed CFA-635 drivers (after disabling driver signing) in Vista 64 bit.
The COM port is set to COM4 (tried COM2 also) with Baud rate 19200 (don't know if it makes any difference). Anyway, winTest just said, LOOK FOR MODULE. So I tried CC2 and after loading the LCD Module Selection with the 635, it still says service not running. However, when I check in the services.msc, it says running. To make it stranger, I can stop and start the service from services.msc screen but it makes no difference to CC2 (which keeps saying tha service is not running).

Any help would be appreciated.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
The CFA-635 needs a baud rate of 115,200. Hopefully, changing this should take care of the problem.

From your PM, I assume you are using the drivers from this thread: https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=5301? Correct? If you are not, d/l and update the drivers from this thread. FWIW, I have had no problems with these unsigned drivers and Vista 64. I simply loaded them and Vista was happy. I have these drivers working in Win2k, WinXP, WinXP 64, Vista 32 and Vista 64.

Regarding the baud rate, change it in the setup screen in CC2. Do this and restart the service.

Let me know how it goes....

JC

khannoorb

The CFA-635 needs a baud rate of 115,200. Hopefully, changing this should take care of the problem.

From your PM, I assume you are using the drivers from this thread: https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=5301? Correct? If you are not, d/l and update the drivers from this thread. FWIW, I have had no problems with these unsigned drivers and Vista 64. I simply loaded them and Vista was happy. I have these drivers working in Win2k, WinXP, WinXP 64, Vista 32 and Vista 64.

Regarding the baud rate, change it in the setup screen in CC2. Do this and restart the service.

Let me know how it goes....

JC
I tried changing the baud rate to 115,200 and no change and I do have the right drivers.. Do I need to restart.

Anyway, I put the CC2 service on Manual and restarted. Obviously it was stopped when the system started. However, when I used CC2 to try to start it up, I get:

CC2 Service can not be started; Can not access NT service Manager

Any ideas.

jc634

Administrator
Either restart the machine or go into services and start the service directly. Due to a limitation in Vista's security, the config program cannot directly start a non-running service.:(

Once started, the config program can restart the service, which is obviously a good thing!:)

khannoorb

Either restart the machine or go into services and start the service directly. Due to a limitation in Vista's security, the config program cannot directly start a non-running service.:(

Once started, the config program can restart the service, which is obviously a good thing!:)
Ok, I followed all your instructions about deleting are reinstalling the correct drivers. I've did that and now I've installed the latest CC2. The CC2 Service is running now. However, the screen is blank (no lights or sign of life at all).

I installed CC2 in XP SP2 Mode and ran elevated. Do you think that caused the prob?

In Wintest b0.0 I've just got LOOKING FOR MODULE.

Since I've not seen a single sign of life in the screen since I plugged it in,
I'm starting to think I've got a dead screen?

jc634

Administrator
1. Do you have a SCAB? You *may* have to supply power to the SCAB (which may suppply power to the CFA-635). If you ordered the SCAB w/the 635, I *believe* that a certain jumper is open (or closed). I can't remember which way, since I won't pretend to be the HW expert.

2. Stop CC2 and run Wintest. This will rule out or verify a HW problem.

Post back your findings here. If you decide that is a HW problem, you might want to post in the Technical Support forum and refer to this thread. The CF HW guys may peruse that forum more than this one.

JC

khannoorb

1. Do you have a SCAB? You *may* have to supply power to the SCAB (which may suppply power to the CFA-635). If you ordered the SCAB w/the 635, I *believe* that a certain jumper is open (or closed). I can't remember which way, since I won't pretend to be the HW expert.

2. Stop CC2 and run Wintest. This will rule out or verify a HW problem.

Post back your findings here. If you decide that is a HW problem, you might want to post in the Technical Support forum and refer to this thread. The CF HW guys may peruse that forum more than this one.

JC
Alright, thanks for the tip. I got the screen to light up with the default stuff once I connected the power from the SCAB to the computer. I already did the desoldering mod, but forgot to power via the scab.

The only problem is that the CC2 service won't start. I get an error:

COULD NOT START CC2 Service: Could not access the NT Service Manager.

the screen did flicker but it's blank (lighted) with nothing on it. I did get to comm with the LCD via Wintest, so looks like the HW is OK.

jc634

Administrator

Did you do ^^^;)

jc634

Administrator
hmmm. You're sure that you have CC2 configured to the correct com port? Other than that, I'm slightly at a loss.

Time to zip up your log files and upload them here. I'm not an expert at deciphering them, but perhaps CCadmin can take a look and do a better job at that.

Sound like a plan?

Or just a thought. You can force a different com port in Device Manager for the 635 and point CC2 to the new port. Might be worth a shot... I think CC2 will do that automatically, but it has been awhile since I have done that, so I'm not sure.

JC