using utp cable for data and power for a CFAH2004d LCD Caracther display

abadell

Hi, I'm using two utp cat 5e cable for data and power for a CFAH2004d LCD Caracther display. This cable is conected to my display and to a control pcb microcontroler board (atmel at8952). The cable is aprox 2 mt long. The problem is the caracthers in the display are showed in incorrect form. I do not know the reason for this behavior. can you pleae help me?

PD. Sorry for my bad english.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Does everything work if you connect it directly, without using the UTP? Make sure that works first. Assuming a direct connection works, it could be many things.

You might start with a capacitor (1uF in parallel with 100uF) at the LCD end of the cable across power and ground.

You might put a 50Ohm resistor in series with the E line at the processor end.

The cable is aprox 2 mt long.
With a cable that long, there is likely to be a lot of crosstalk between the signals, especially since they are ground referenced (not differential). It would be best to put the 8 data bits on one cable, and the control bits + power in the other cable. Use 2 wires for ground, one paired with Vdd, the other paired with Enable signal. You will probably need to use a delay before and after each transition of Enable, to allow the other signals to settle.

Its possible that there is too much ringing (signal bounce) for it to work with a long cable, thats what the 50 ohm series resistor is trying to reduce. The only way to see what the real problem is to use a scope to view the signals.