Contrast issue CFAF240320P-T

fieroluke

Hi,

I am using the CFAF240320P-T in portrait orientation, and I have found that the viewing angles are really poor. When displaying the sample code color test bar, this is not noticeable, however in my application I need to display a black background with a dial with white markings and a grey icon, as well as a colored font on black background.

Even when looking at the display at a 90 degree angle directly from above, black is not black, and a medium grey icon is even darker than the background. Only when viewing slightly off axis from the 3 o'clock position is the contrast okay. From most other angles, the image/contrast gets worse or even "negative" really quickly. For a portrait format TFT a 12 or 6 o'clock viewing angle would be a lot better as I'm sure you agree, but I didn't expect this much of a variation.

I am using the init settings from your sample code - is there a way the contrast settings can be optimized? The gamma settings don't have an influence on the black level, correct? Do you have any advise?

I guess if I was able to switch to white background with black symbols or color images, the problem wouldn't even exist, but I don't have that option.

I would really appreciate your feedback.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.