IP Monitoring

reider

I wanted an IP screen that shows my current IP Number for the internet. dyndns.org wasn`t working properly and I needed it to use with an IP Camera, so people are directed to the correct place to view the cam.

I completed it using the new screen editor. I started a new 635 screen, named it as an IP screen. Started to configure, opened the text/html file handler, changed to html, pointed it to this site

http://blink.blank.com/

EDIT: Had to put a false address in as it was making too many calls to the address, back to the drawing board for now.

Changed the timer to 600, giving once every 10 minutes, as the site allows 3 times in 10 minutes. I presume the plugin will only try when the screen is in view on the module, so this should be better for the site owner. The html page shows your IP number, so I did a quick lookup and found some regex to locate and mirror IP numbers within a page onto the new screen.

(\d{1,3}\.){3}\d{1,3}

Result......

My IP

123.456.654.321​

Reider
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

reider

A temporary fix. I used this site

http://www.ipchicken.com/

Downloaded it and use it locally, picked it out as a text file, then craftily selected 'open all files' instead of text files. This it did ok, I use the selected regex from above and display the IP number without accessing the web site again, as its coming from a local file. When I refresh the page and resave, it will show the new IP number, which doesn`t change too often anyway. Its hit and miss but works in a fashion.

Reider

reider

Hopefully, this should fix it. A simple site that allows up to 199 accesses per day. As long as the screen only works when its visible it should be ok.

http://bing.bang.com/

EDIT: Sorry, turned the timer off and still polling, reached the 199 accesses in minutes :D

Reider

Last edited:

reider

OK, time to finally lay this ghost to rest??? I downloaded a freeware program which scrapes the IP number off the users router htm page, where it uses this setup. It then runs in the system tray on the desktop, after configuration. It also develops an .xml page to be sent by FTP to a web site if necessary. By pointing to this page on the local machine I was able to use regex to point to the IP Number required-I did not need to send it by ftp. If anyone requires detailed help on this then just post here. Just running in the system tray may be enough for most, for me-I had an axe to grind :cool:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/wwip.html

Reider

reider

Introduction:

Dynamic (changing) WAN IP numbers are gained by the router from the ISP. At times we need to see them displayed maybe in the use of Security Cam addressing etc. This is normally done by contacting a third party web site and enquiring about your current IP Number, by opening a web page and searching.

Alternatives:

There are many but one struck me as very useful, non third party and it locates the IP information from the users router web page on the local LAN. This is WWIP from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/wwip.html Once run, it will ask the source htm page on the router that displays the WAN IP Number. At this point the user name and password to access the router must be filled in. The default address did not work, so I opened my router on 192.168.1.1 and located the page that displayed the WAN IP address, this was http://192.168.1.1/Status_Router.asp and then I selected `get source`. Amongst the stuff that was displayed I located my current WAN IP, selected it as 123.123.123.123 or whatever it was for real, then selected save position. Then selected start polling, straigtaway my WAN IP was displayed and could be seen when the mouse was hovered in the task tray on the desktop. Now, at this point that might solve the needs of most people. However, my task was to display it on the LCD module-I had an axe to grind by this point.

Getting it working on the LCD Module:

Quite easy to do with the new style editor but heres a run down for screen officiados. The WWIP program develops a configuration file once set up, called WWIPConfig (not the .xml file). Count down the number of lines to and including the WAN IP number and record it somewhere safe-mine was 15. The .xml file will report this setting so it needs to have its file location recorded too, mine was C:\\Documents and Settings\\Steve\\Desktop\\WWIPConfig.xml

The screen is enclosed as a zip file, extract it using winzip or similar, then double click on it and use notepad to edit it, not selecting `use always`. Change the number of lines you recorded as below and change the WWIPConfig.xml file location as necessary without changing any other details. Save the screen and add it to the /program files/cc2/screen folder with the rest of the screens. Add it to your 635/634 module in the normal way, restart CC2 and consider yourself a bit of a techie now, lol.

Notes:

I didn`t mention the poll timer in WWIP as for most people it is not necessary to run it all the time. When using it say for a security camera or a games server/file server it can be run just before starting or after a router reboot, where the dynamic IP Number is reallocated as a new number. The choice is yours to run the timer all the time or not and what frequency, I do not and the last known IP Number is shown on my LCD module all the time. Just before I run my cam I spark up the WWIP program and begin polling, that way I know I have the correct IP.

The screen example:
Code:
[pre]
rows=4
cols=20

[from00]
from="cc2_textfile2.ini"
sec="regex#"
opt01="id_group00=@01"
opt02="id_group01=@02"
opt03=[B]"file_name=C:\\Documents and Settings\\Steve\\Desktop\\WWIPConfig.xml"[/B]
opt04="line_num=[B]15[/B]"
opt05="regex=(\\d\1231,3\125\\.)\1233\125\\d\1231,3\125"
opt06="match_num=0"

[screen]
screen_name="My IP Number"
options=0
length=0
alt_delay=5000

[r00]
options=10
length=0

[r00-i00]