CC2 Constantly writing to SSD = VERY BAD

dwkdiver

As most know, CC2 writes a stat file constantly, like every 2.5 secs or so and other files apparently often. I found I could edit the LCD file and give the filename a path ("D:\xxxxxx.txt" to where I want to write the files (this seemed to work better than to make the files read-only!).

But there is one file and some other .log file that get written too often and that is a NO-NO for an SSD drive.

The one file that gets written every time CC2 runs is 'unknown.log' it states that there is an error with the console logging = 2 or something like that.

I cannot find a way to change the path of the other files other than those listed in LCD file.

Would like to know if this is possible? Or should we just install run it from an SSD? Maybe install in a non-SSD drive, if we have one in the system.
This issue did not exist a while back as SSD's were too expensive!

Hope this helps someone else also.

Thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

moeburn

Nope. I have tried and asked several times for any kind of a workaround, I've tried everything. Making the files read-only, editing their permissions to remove everyone's write permissions, searching for options in all of CC2's ini files... nothing will stop CC2 from constantly writing to the HD/SSD (and using up a ton of CPU cycles in the process!)

And while the forum mods/dev team have replied, and are aware of the bug, it is not going to get fixed, because they do not see it as important. Not to mention the fact that the last release of CC2 was in 2009.

Your best bet is to use one of the many CC2 alternative softwares, like LCDSmartie. They do a better job of handling Crystalfontz LCD's than CF's own software!

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok, ok... I'll add an option to disable logging :)
I'm still not convinced that it is a problem, but i'll make an option for you guys anyway.

Ill have the option added in the next release of CC2 which will be within the next week or two.
There are a few other minor updates that will also come with the release.

CF Mark

Administrator
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, the latest build is attached.
It has not been well tested, so consider it a beta.

To disable logging, edit the lcd_xxx.ini files and change the log_stats and log_history values to "false".
You can also edit the logpref.ini and set those values to a value of 5 to disable cc2/plugin logging.

Let me know how you go...

Attachments

dwkdiver

Downloaded ...

Will run for a while and see how it goes.

I have two other issues:

One - I often get and unknown.log file every time I start CC2. Can't figure out what that is from.

Two - I often blue screen when shutting down the PC with an error window just prior to shutdown "Memory cannot be addressed" or something like that in module CC2. Sorry but it goes by so fast....

The unknown.log is not so bad. The blue screen at shut down about 50% of the time is a pain.

Thanks for all your cool stuff. Can hardly wait for CC3!!!

dwkdiver

Unknown.log contents:

CRITICAL 20140513-192841-1.#INF00s DllMain#21: plugin exception error, terminated
CRITICAL 20140513-192841-1.#INF00s DllMain#21: plugin exception error, terminated

?????????

dwkdiver

SO FAR ITS IS WORKING - GREATER THAN I HAD EXPECTED

I now have no logging/writing issues at all.

I also have no hangups, no stopping, no having to reinitialize the display.

It has been acting perfect!!!

Outstanding!

Thanks
:D:D:D:D:D:D