CFAF240400D-030T Leds drive secure limits

frnando

Hi,

I'm projecting the LED drive part of a CFAF240400D-030T lcd display (I'm thinking in use PWM), but when I read the datasheet, it teaches the MINIMUM LED current is - 60 - mA and min forward voltage as 3.2 V. It's not clear if this values are for a single led or for the 4 in paralell.

What's the maximum current within secure limits to use on each led? For simplifying reasons, I'm thinking of using a 5VDC power supply with a (4) current limiting series resistor.

Fernando
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

... the MINIMUM LED current is - 60 - mA and min forward voltage as 3.2 V. It's not clear if this values are for a single led or for the 4 in paralell.
I think the numbers in that table are misplaced, and should be in the "Typ." column. The forward voltage is typically 3.2 volts AT a current of 60 mA. The minimum current is zero. IMO, I would not use a current higher than 70 mA. These numbers are per-LED, so your backlight would use (typically) 240 mA total.

In my test jig, I have 4 of 33 ohm (.25 W) resistors to 5 V, so each LED uses about 54 mA, and the screen is bright enough (if not in direct sunlight).

You can see the resistors, just barely, on the left edge of this image.

Attachments

Last edited: