font size is just a little bit too small!

mcote

Hi,

We have purchased several of the CFA634-TFH-KS, which I believe is the biggest model you have (130mm x 63mm x 19.9mm).
We're finding that we wish it was just slightly bigger, or at least, that the characters were a little bit bigger. We need to be able to see from about 5 feet away, and right now only those of us with the best eyesight can do so.

So first question is, I dont suppose you carry something bigger thats just not on your website, or that I've missed?

Second question: is there any way I can increase the size of the font on these devices? I have the "Data Sheet" user manual which mentions something about "large characters" but it seems to apply only to numbers, not letters.
If there is a way to double the size of all characters, that could be very useful to me, even though I understand it would decrease how many characters that I can display on-screen by a lot.

Are there any other options I'm missing? I've already tried the obvious - playing with the the brightness and contrast, and using all capital letters. But I think we need to somehow either make the individual characters bigger, or get a slightly larger display.

Thanks for any ideas!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support2

Administrator
The CFA634 family is the largest serial or USB interface module that we manufacture. There isn't anything bigger unless you move to a parallel / HD44780 type interface.

The characters are as large as they can get and are embedded in the CGROM. You can use the "large characters" to create letters or numbers - the CC2 code is typically numbers. They are a set of 8 custom characters that are used to put together larger characters that take up all four lines. You can fit five of these across the display. You need 4 characters by four lines for each.

It may be possible to do something similar using the custom characters and characters from the CGROM to create a two line characters.

Here is a screen shot of the "large characters" on a CFA635:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/backlight/forum/userscreen/44/tn_CFA-635_24h.jpg

Here is an example of a two row character displayed on a CFA635:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/backlight/forum/userscreen/27/tn_CFA-635.jpg

Screens are from our CC2 user library:
https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?4257-User-Screen-Library-Thumbnail-Index

mcote

Thank you for your quick reply. I will do my best to look into the things you said.

I am definitely more interested in the 2 row characters than the huge 4 row characters - I definitely need more than 5 characters on screen at once.

Being really new at this, I'm assuming that CC2 user library is a set of fonts created by users? In other words we can create our own fonts instead of using the ones that came built-in on the device?

Thanks again.

CF Support2

Administrator
The "user fonts" are created using a combination of CGROM characters and 8 custom characters per screen. You can have an "infinite" number of custom characters you can define, but it is only possible to use 8 at any given time. Typically it's done for numbers, but the same process should work for most.