OLED based PC display

starlon

Do you guys have any plans to develop any OLED (or other color graphical display) based PC displays? I'd love to get my hands on something like that. I've been contemplating purchasing an OLED with a development board to play with, but frankly that frightens me a bit. I know squat about electronics.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Maybe one day.

Probably the biggest sticking point is OLED lifetime. People want to leave stuff on all the time, and if you do that with an OLED, it will start to show patterns of burn-in (localized wear-out) as well as overall dimming.

As far as building something with the OLED modules, they are fairly straight forward to use. They are not significantly harder to use than an LCD.

You can look to the OLED demo board for sample schematics and code:

https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfa10009

starlon

Oh I see. Yeah that sort of changes my mind, if it's going to wear out real fast. I have a guitar to sell, so I'll bookmark this page and buy one up.

I noticed in the pictures they all seem single colored. Is this true? I'm really looking for a full colored graphic OLED.

CF Tech

Administrator
I think that there is a demo board in the works for the color OLED, but it is not on the site yet.

CF Tech

Administrator
The DMO-L25664AYB1 is intended as a demonstration and development platform. I guess you could program it to talk to a PC and bring out an interface. It is a pretty good architecture, with the Atmel MEGA on it. Writing the software and firmware would be a bit of work though. Mounting would also be a challenge, the demo board is relatively huge compared to the module.

I think there is a way to sign up for new products. I am not sure if it is exposed to customers, or if it is just an internal thing. I'll check and have someone post back.