DOW Connectors

starlon

You guys sell the dallas sensors already fitted with wire and these connectors. Do you sell just the connectors? Or can they be bought elsewhere?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The DOW devices can be used in parasitic power mode (no explicit 5v), but it was simpler, allowed more sensors and was more robust to just bring 5v along, IIRC.

It will take some kind of a crimper to make the connections. If you are only making a few, you can carefully solder the wire to the terminal, then fold the crimp wings around the cable with pliers.

There are hand crimpers that are not too expensive (~$50), but I would have to look at the ones we have at work to get you a part number. There are thousands at Digi-Key, and I am not sure which one would be cheap and work.

You are looking for something like this:

but that one does not do small enough wires.

Attachments

starlon

I think I'll just use the cheap-o method. I just wanted one iButton to play with, even though SHA-1 is now exploitable. Do I need to connect the iButton to the +5v? I'm confused about this part. I know very little about electronics. I've been through the basics in a systems programming course, and I've done some sloppy soldering with my shaky hands, but why and how a DOW device connects to a +5v is beyond me.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
The i-button has only 2 terminals, so there is no +5v on it.

We connected an i-button once and were able to talk to it.

Be aware that the packet size of the module limits the size of transaction you can have on the DOW bus. There are some DOW devices that have large transactions, and those transactions will not fit in the module's buffer so they cannot be done with our module.

ref: http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFA635-YYE-KL.html#docs
The CFA-635+SCAB can function as a RS-232 to Dallas 1-Wire bridge. The CFA-635+SCAB can send up to 15 byte and receive up to 14 bytes. This will be sufficient for many devices, but some devices require larger transactions and cannot be fully used with the CFA-635+SCAB. This command allows you to specify arbitrary transactions on the 1-Wire bus. 1-Wire commands follow this basic layout: