Crystal Control/635 Display Freezing...Fix??

Ricky Sitts

A couple of weeks ago I moved my 635 with scab inside my computer. I had been using it in an external enclosure while prototyping screens and waiting for an opportune time to tear down my system and install the temp sensors. After I moved it into the computer, using the internal USB cable, I began experiencing lockups with CC2 when trying to do a restart the service. The icon in the taskbar would show it running, but the display would be frozen, a reboot was the only way to get it running again. I searched the forum for clues on how to remedy the situation and tried all suggestions. I rerouted the external cable out the back of the case, and was sometimes able to get the restart to work, by unplugging the USB cable for awhile, plug it back in, then restart. This didn't always work though.
This morning I was going to set the boot state using 635_Wintest, I shut down CC2, verified it wasn't running in the process tree, but wintest kept showing the port in use. I went into CC2 config, disabled the auto start of CC2 and rebooted. Thinking I would set the boot state, then re-enable it when I was done.
When I ran 635_Wintest after the reboot it still showed the port in use? :confused: I went back to the process tree and CC2 was not running, but I noticed Everest Ultimate was. I do get sensor information from this program and also had recently upgraded it. I stopped Everest, restarted wintest and it found the 635 on com 3 and was able to attach. I went ahead and saved the boot state the way I wanted, re-enabled CC2 service to auto start, and rebooted.
Everything came up fine, Everest included. I did a restart of CC2 and the LCD locked up but CC2 still showed itself running. I shut down Everest and did another restart of CC2 and the LCD came back to life. I did this several times with the same results each time. I just thought I would pass this info along incase it might help someone else with the same problem.:D
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Ricky Sitts

I'd already read that post, and moving the cable to an external port worked intermittently. I now have it hooked internally again and it works great. The only time I would have trouble is when I would restart CC2 service after i'd made a change. I found by stopping Everest, restart CC2 then restart Everest it works fine. Not sure exactly what the problem is, but it works.

kenoverby

So Far So Fixed. -fan controller problem with newest version of CC2.

Im using the 20090331 version. (newest version as of 20090501 -today)
I have disabled any automatic control along with monitoring of fans and the display has not stoped working for several hours and will let you know of a 24 hour fix. I read something in a similar version post and the admin was saying that it was the fan controler portion of the initiation code. (Not yet fixed from what the admin said in a replie) -possibly part of the USB and COM drivers but I don't have a clue. I do feel lucky though and I know I put my trust in CrystalFontz. How cool are there displays! :cool:
By the way, you will need to restart after configuring, I shut down to completly power off. :D

kenoverby

Ohh well. This mornings news report.

Im using the 20090331 version. (newest version as of 20090501 -today)
I have disabled any automatic control along with monitoring of fans and the display has not stoped working for several hours and will let you know of a 24 hour fix. I read something in a similar version post and the admin was saying that it was the fan controler portion of the initiation code. (Not yet fixed from what the admin said in a replie) -possibly part of the USB and COM drivers but I don't have a clue. I do feel lucky though and I know I put my trust in CrystalFontz. How cool are there displays! :cool:
By the way, you will need to restart after configuring, I shut down to completly power off. :D
Ohh boy, it stoped working after 10 or so hours. Sorry. I didn't make this product so I didn't ever know exactly. Cool displays though, what do you think. :eek: