Display goes static

pottsbgstv

Recently i've been having a problem with cc2. I have the 635 connected via internal USB, and when i turn my computer on CC2 and the Display work fine. After a few hours the display will go static(stops responding), and i believe the fans connected to scab will go to full speed. The cc2 tray icon says the service is running, and the service is seen in the task manager as well as in the services mmc. If i try to end the cc2_service.exe process it won't do anything, and i cannot close the executable until i reboot.

Added-----
I just tested the display with lcdsmartie, and it too had the same problem. I also cannot close lcd smartie as with the cc2_service.exe. Whatever is happening to the comm port is causing the software that has the port open to lockup completely. This problem is now happenning within minutes of the software loading.

I'm running XP x64 right now. I had the same issues with the 32bit version of windows also, but it took longer for the display to crash.
I'm using the drivers from here https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=5301

Does anyone have any ideas whether this is a driver or hardware issue?

Thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
I think we have a different driver recently available. I'll ask CF Support to get that to you if I am remembering right.

It that does not make a difference, we will try some deeper debugging (swap hardware or interfaces or some such).

CF Mark

Administrator
Honestly, we dont know :(
A few people have reported this problem and we simply cannot find a reason for it.

A couple of things to try that have helped before:
Try a different USB cable, or using a different USB slot.
Try running the LCD module outside of the PC case (so its not screwed in, and hence not grounded to the case).

pottsbgstv

Hi Thanks for your response.

This week, i will do some troubleshooting. I will first disconnect the fans attached to scab, if that does not help i will disconnect the temperature sensors....... If that doesn't help i will change USB cables from internal to external. If none of the above works i will remove it from the case.

Thanks

Brad

cmgp

I hade the same problem after switching from an internal cable to a regular USB cable I tried 3 different internal cables I had (connected directly to motherboard) uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and all of them froze the display with the same symptoms you had after reverting to the regular external USB cable it froze only once and then I never had a problem again

dwkdiver

AH the frozen screen

I too had that issue months ago and reported it. A lot of folks have the same issue and CC2 admin can repeat the problem. It seems CC seems to require that there be little to no interference from the surroundings (RF I believe). I tried many things such as changing cables, exterior, rerouting in the case, etc. All to no avail. I started using LCD smartie and found it worked very well, but I could NOT access my SCAB.

I purchased a new ASUS MB as an upgrade recently and put everything back in and thought why not try CC2 again. GEE WIZ IT WORKED.... I have run it for 3 day straight with the internal cable in the same case. Maybe the MB has less RF and/or I routed it better. I would not have guessed it made a difference but I can assure you it does.

If nothing else works, get a very well shielded cable and try it...it may surprise you.

CC admin I'M BAAAACCCKKKKK!!!!

pottsbgstv

Hi, thanks for your reply. amazingly i didn't try swapping cables yet. I basically have the display dimmed to 0 and cc2 disabled. I'll hopefully try that this weekend.

Thanks

pottsbgstv

A little while ago i tried connecting the external USB cable to the display, and it still locks up. I saw in the latest version there is a new feature to control how fast the software polls the display. Is there any documentation on how to set that?

Thanks

Brad

dwkdiver

not yet....

Well its back at the hangups again. Absolutely nothing has changed in the system. It just started hanging up and now it hangs up within minutes. It is now useless .... I have had this LCD for years waiting on CC for the software that is says works. I am still waiting and I will be waiting because CC1 and CC2 are very nice to work with and create screens but am going to go back to LCD Smartie and ditch the SCAB functions. It works flawlessly all the time so far.

LIKE I SAID - I like CC2 MUCH BETTER and will keep an eye on the forums for some solution or CC3 maybe even.

So keep up the good work and maybe I'll be checking out the next release.

Thanks

dwkdiver

I've tried it all....

I have slowed the update speed to 10, 5 and even 2. I have found that the longer I use CC the faster the system hangs up. It is like it is building something and as soon as it gets big enough it hangs up.

I don't know why it hangs. It worked for days about 2 months back. Now I'm lucky to get 5 minutes.

It is funny how things in the computer and software world go....

CF Mark

Administrator
Hang on... your whole PC is hanging / locking up?

We are talking about just the LCD not responding until reboot in this thread.

Crystalmancer

I've had the same problem with the 634 and 635 on EVGA 680i LT motherboard: They hang (just the CF units, not the whole PC) when I use the internal USB headers.

When I use the external connection, everything is fine...:confused:

I have recently purchased an EVGA 780i, however, I went straight to the external connection.

I will try the internal again with the same LCD's and see if I get the same behavior.

dwkdiver

Not the PC ...

NO NO NO the PC works fine.

The LCD stops on the last screen and WILL NOT start again until you pull the power from it and plug it back in OR turn off the PC. Reset button will NOT start the LCD display.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

dwkdiver

Working with external cable...

Just for grins I pulled out the external USB cable and ran it THROUGH the case and out an open slot in the back and plugged it into a 2.0 USB port.

It is working....now....will let you know how long it works some time coming up shortly.

I wonder if it really is bad internal cabling. This has been reported by others as curing the problem....

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK....

:cool:

dwkdiver

4 Days and still going......

Well I have been going steady for 4 days now (knock on wood) with the external cable and I have not had one LCD lock up. The external cable, tho ugly as sin sticking out the back of PC, seems to be working.

I can only guess the internal cable, which is a little thin compared to the external cable, is the bad guy here. I checked the connection points on the cable with a magnifying glass but could not see any degredation as you sometimes get. I tried plugging it back in and out several times to the LCD and the MB and it still locked up quickly.

BUT HEY, ITS WORKING NOW ON THE EXTERNAL CABLE - MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!:D

OH WELL....I may have an extra ugly cable out the back of my PC but IT WORKS!!!!!!!! All I want now is email:rolleyes:

I have also managed to get the LEDS to give me a reading of my 4 important temperatures - green is OK Red is NG. and when the temps get too high (in testing anyway) the LCD goes directly to the temps screen for me to look at the bad temps. THIS IS WHAT I WANTED FOR YEARS.

Thanks to all you do (and a big hand to JC634 for his programming guide too).:rolleyes:

Cant wait for CC3 -it should be awesome!!!!!!!

jc634

Administrator
Glad to hear that it is working. I run all my LCD's thru external cables, with the exception of a 631 I have installed in my WHS machine.

BTW, I like your idea of the LED's showing temps. And the kickback to a specific screen. I may have to play with that someday.

dwkdiver

Internal cable issues

The external cable has worked continuously...non stop since my last post. That is the longest the CF LCD has ever run without a hickup. I had to replace the MB and thought lets try the internal cable again.
IT INTERMITTENTLY FREEZES THE DISPLAY AGAIN!!!
There is so must evidence here that the internal cables just don't work. I noticed that there is no SHIELD ( pins only for the cable) I can't help but thing that is an issue. I even tried wrapping foil and tape around the thing but that doesn't help either.

I guess the internal cable is going bye bye. Back to the external cable and see how long it goes before a melt down...NEVER I HOPE :p