Question about dual core usage screen

jkenzie

A quick question for jc634 or whoever may have the answer.
I am running an AMD Opteron 165 overclocked to 2.9MHz. When I install the dual core usage screen it shows as 4MHz. In the screen file it shows this line:
[r01-i01]
string=" MHz"
Question?
Where does it pull the processor info from and how can I adjust it to get the correct output?

Thanks,
John
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
[r01-i00]
id=3206762360

[r01-i01]
string=" MHz"

is the source code. id=3206762360 is a static id from the sysinfo plugin. I know there have been some other users who have experienced a similar problem. I'm not sure, but they may have been AMD's also, hence this may be a problem AMD and sysinfo plugin (or where ever sysinfo pulls it information from).

You might try a different approach:

[from04]
from="cc2_perfmon.ini"
sec="perf#"
opt01="id=@05"
opt02="full_name=\\ProcessorPerformance(Processor_Number_0)\\Processor Frequency"
opt03="precision=0"
opt04="multiplier=1"

[r01-i00]
id=@05

Add the first part, and replace the 2nd part. This will give you the speed of your 1st processor. Your 2nd should be the same, tho.

If you need more info, let me know.

JC

jc634

Administrator
Try changing:

opt03="precision=0"

to:

opt03="precision=3"

Should give 3 decimal places, but in this case, might give 2900.:confused:

If it gives you 2.900, we can fix using the mutiplaction routine.

Let me know.

JC

jkenzie

Well I thought I was getting close, but apparently not. When I started adjusting the precision values things started to get weird. Every time I restarted the service I would get a different number, 3-6-16-0 then back to 3 but no change in decimal point. I was removing and adding the screen each time I made a change.
So I rebooted the computer. Now I can change the decimal point but the frequency always shows 0. It doesn’t look like this approach is going to work.
Are there any other plugins available to pull the CPU value from?

CF Mark

Administrator
First things first.

Find out if the information reported to CrystalControl2 is correct.
Run "perfmon" from the start menu, then click the "+" button.
Add "ProcessorPerformance" "Processor Frequency".
If "ProcessorPerformance" isnt in the list, then using perfmon to get the speed is out.

jkenzie

First things first.

Find out if the information reported to CrystalControl2 is correct.
Run "perfmon" from the start menu, then click the "+" button.
Add "ProcessorPerformance" "Processor Frequency".
If "ProcessorPerformance" isnt in the list, then using perfmon to get the speed is out.
I just checked, I do not have a frequency counter listing under ProccessorPerformance.

jc634

Administrator
The perfmon-enum.exe program is in the c:\crystalcontrol2\extras\perfmon-enum directory. Run it and it creates a file named perfdump.txt.

Open this file and search for "Processor Frequency" (no quotes). In mine, it is at the very end of the file:

"\ProcessorPerformance(Processor_Number_0)\Processor Frequency"
Current Processor Frequency in megahertz

"\ProcessorPerformance(Processor_Number_1)\Processor Frequency"
Current Processor Frequency in megahertz

"\ProcessorPerformance(Processor_Number_0)\% of Maximum Frequency"
Percentage of maximum processor frequency

"\ProcessorPerformance(Processor_Number_1)\% of Maximum Frequency"
Percentage of maximum processor frequency

"\ProcessorPerformance(Processor_Number_0)\Power Consumption"
Current Power Consumption in milliwatts

"\ProcessorPerformance(Processor_Number_1)\Power Consumption"
Current Power Consumption in milliwatts

Completed!

If you can not find these items in your file, you're SOL. The values returned from perfmon are part of the operating system (Win XP). When I've "lost" variables or if they simply don't exist, I've found that the only way to get them back is thru a XP reinstall.

FWIW, I'm not sure of any method of obtaining processor frequency other than the methods noted in this thread. Which in your case is a bummer...

Tell ya what. Confirm the existance of these variables; I'll write/dbug a specific "test" file for you; hopefully we'll get you the correct value.

Jim

FragTek

I have a question about this screen as well. I must say that it works perfectly for me on an E6600 but it does something a bit odd... I run F@H @ 75% on both cores 24/7 and this screen just jumps back and forth between 50% and 100% when I'm doing nothing but folding. In task manager it shows 75% usage, none of this sporradic jumping around that the screen is giving me. Is this something I can tweak to get a more steady reading?

jc634

Administrator
1st, which is jumping? The number value, bargraph or both? If the number value is the problem, I'm not sure if that can be "smoothed". Perhaps CCadmin might have a better answer there.

For the bargraph, there are options to smooth the graph. From the screen file:

[from02]
from="cc2_hbar.ini"
sec="bar#"
opt01="id=@03"
opt02="options=2"

I *believe* that you would need to change the opt02="options=2" to another value, perhaps 3. Try that and see if it slows down the response time of the bargraph.

JC

jc634

Administrator
Wow, that is weird. You can change the smoothing on the LED's, also.

led01_order=5
led01_smooth=7
led01_id_value=2213530968
led01_value_max=100.000000
led01_value_min=50.000000

Try changing the smooth value. Once again, it's been too long to remember what each value does. CCadmin would be the ultimate expert to explain each value.

BTW, if you change F@H to 70% or 80%, that might do the trick. It could just be a matter of 75% being a kind of "hinge" value that causes CC2 to go WT-you-know-what?:p

JC

FragTek

Thanks I'll give that a shot tomorrow, I tried changing my F@H usage around and that didnt help :( I'll try the smooth features tomorrow after I get home from work. Cheers for that!

Madness

I was going to ask about this screen, too. I've got an AMD A64/X2. Mine does show the correct frequency, but the numbers & bargraphs simply show zero & won't budge.

jc634

Administrator
Open the perfdump.txt file and look for:

\Processor(0#0)\% Processor Time

\Processor(1#0)\% Processor Time

Or search for:

\Processor(0)\% Processor Time

\Processor(1)\% Processor Time

If your dump has the 2nd set of text, edit the screen file accordingly (be sure to replace the single \'s with \\'s.)

When I 1st "discovered" this item, my dump listed the 1st set of text. It now lists only the 2nd set of text. Screen files with either the above work for me, but may not for you. I suspect the 2nd set of variables will work for you, but until you try... You know.:)

JC

Madness

Yup, the latter two match my system. They're enabled in perfmon.msc file and are logging on the graph, but not on the 635. Just 0% and an empty bargraph for both. I checked the cc2_perfmon, cc2_service & cc2_hbar.ini files and all the IDs match. Although I don't know where the 5th ID in the former INI file for processor frequency comes from.

Last edited: