Max field lengths in crystalcontrol 1.06

markf

Hi there,

Apologies if this as already been discussed, I searched but couldn't find it. I just bought a new motherboard, so my network adapter has changed names. The problem is that the name is now longer than the older one, and when I try to change my configuration in crystalcontrol I find that I seem to have hit the maximum field length. This is my current string:

Case:~MBMTC1~C Tx~PM03\Network Interface(Marvell Yukon 88E8001_8003_8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\Bytes Sent/sec~ Rx~PM03\Network Interface(Marvell Yukon 88E8001_8003_8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Contr)\Bytes Received/sec~

Notice on the second NIC statement that the text "oller - Packet Scheduler Miniport" is missing - each time I try to add it I just hear a beep to tell me that it won't allow any more characters in there.

Any suggestions?

Mark
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Thats a long perfmon name :(

Sorry, nothing can be done about this other than trying to change the device name somehow to make it shorter.
I dont know if this is even possible though :(

markf

I looked around the net to see if there was a way to rename the interface but couldn't find one. The thing is that my previous interface was also quite long - it had packet scheduler miniport on the end as well.

I think a better way to put it is that my string isn't extremely long - but the maximum length of this field is extremely short. I can't be the only one to notice this...

Are there any other alternatives, what's this Cyrstalcontrol2 thing all about? Can I use it?

Mark

n0saj

CrystalControl Admin said:
Thats a long perfmon name :(

Sorry, nothing can be done about this other than trying to change the device name somehow to make it shorter.
I dont know if this is even possible though :(
You can rename the device to make it shorter but its a very messy operation (I did this when I had a network driver for Win NT 4.0 ages ago)

Basically you need to edit the device name in the INF driver file for the device and then uninstall the current driver and re-install your new one.

You would think the manufacturer would have used common sense with the device name when writing the driver and its a wonder Microsoft don't have a restriction/requirement on device name length for the driver to get Windows Certification.

markf

n0saj said:

You would think the manufacturer would have used common sense with the device name when writing the driver and its a wonder Microsoft don't have a restriction/requirement on device name length for the driver to get Windows Certification.
To be fair to the manufacturer - do you really think it is that unreasonable? Many of the drivers have packet scheduler miniport apended to their names. In this case the new NIC was only a few characters longer than the old one. Remember also that the property names (which come from the registry) must also appear on the statement which goes into Crystal control, and these texts (such as Bytes received etc) are also quite long, and have nothing to do with the manufacturer.

In my case all I wanted to display on 1 line was case temperature, transmit speed and receive speed - not really a complicated request.

Going back to the manufacturer - would they really expect that somewhere out there would be a program with an extremely small maximum field length that would run into problems. If asked about this I'm sure any manufacturer would explain that software should not be written to have such restrictions....

Mark