What's the best method for an internal PC connection?

ClassicSat

Why not connect to the IRDA header? Sure, it will take some
electronic tinkering and soldering on the LCD, plus there is a +5V
power line there.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
OK, the WR232Y09 and WR232Y10 are now officially being included on all kits:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/cart.html?WR232Y09=1,WR232Y10=1

ClassicSat:

The question would be if the IRDA header's signals are the signals usually sent to a serial conector, or if they have already been converted to the inverted short pulses that IRDA specifies. If they are the pulses, then there will be no luck. If they are regular RS-232 signals it could work.

duartix

Why not USB?

With current motherboards providing extra USB headers and lacking legacy ports, isn't it time to provide a direct, fast & internal solution? Isn't USB the answer?
I believe including such a cable/connector/converter in your LCDs would be a much appreciated move. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't it just a cable? Or does it need any electronics on the ends?

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

Lynx

Who Needs Serial

I think the best way to do it would be to buy a USB 1.1 or 2.0 card that also includes an internal port. Then use the Serial to USB adapter. Its the 21st Century people, what the H are you guys still using serial ports for.

tmproff

I just created a working internal USB cable that connects to my motherbard. I'll post some pictures soon of how I did it. Just wanted you all to know that it is possible.

Dive Fox

I just got a Belkin USB card that had a standard USB "A" port on the INSIDE of the case. The only model information I can find on it is "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 5-port PCI card". I got it at Wal-Mart for less than $30.

suspect

Eliot said:
Here is another way to neatly connect your LCD. I have used a pre-punched backplate (see pic, you might be able to take one off an old video card?) and a "port saver" i.e. a m/m DB9 connector. Then you can connect two serial cables, one in side the case and a shorter one outside.

Eliot
Eliot...thanks for the tip on using the pre-punched backplate. That will work great. Good idea!