how to run cc1 on a 635

lord_xaero

I would like to know how to run CC1 on a 635. I had a 634 and had everything perfect. I am getting very frustrated with cc2 Because every single feature I like is GONE! No mbm support, Winamp can't switch cc2 off.(With cc1 I could have winamp automatically switch to a spectrum witout having NA displayed all the time or having alternate turned on and see NA blinking) My problem is I cannot get CC1 to work with my 635. Oh btw speedfan has a long way to go to be half as usefull as mbm.(not crashing my system into oblivion would be a great start.)

On a side note the sales info says the 635 can be used as a power/reset switch...How???

thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jdgordon

not really answering your question.. but if you have the patience to fiddle with text files, then cc2 can do everything cc1 could do (except turn the lcd off if winamp is running so you can use a winamp lcd plugin)

you can setup events so it skips the winamp screen if its not running which would stop your NA problem, and there is a mbm plugin for cc2, but i havnt used it and it doesnt have an example ini file so i couldnt tell you how to get it going...

if you want to keep trying, as the specific questinos in the cc2 forum and jc, reider or the friendly admins here should be able to give you the answers
________
Honda Fireblade History

Last edited:

reider

CC1 does not include the necessary .dll file to run a 635, nor is it ever likely to. All work was stopped on this a long time ago. CC2 on the other hand is ongoing, though very much a beta it will eventually include most everything that CC1 had.

Included in the install of CC2 are some 'user screens' I devised which utilise the skip screen facility and get rid of the 'NA'. Unfortunately, their is a glitch in the scroll control only working one way at times because of the skip routine, but this is being worked on and will be addressed in the future.

Sorry you have problems with Speedfan, this works perfectly for a lot of people, however, any problems should be addressed by contacting the Speedfan site-they are not a problem caused by Crystalfontz. MBM, on the other hand is no longer in active development by the program constructors, so again not a problem at this side. However, MBM is loosely supported by at least two beta testers in the forums-for use in CC2. A simple browse round the CC2 section will show this and questions will I`m sure be answered.

Eventually, CC2 will far exceed the expectations of CC1 and any other program on the market. People wanted it released asap, so it was released in beta format. It is actively worked on and all users will reap the benefits in time.

Steve

lord_xaero

hmmmm

So what your basically saying is, that I have a choice of learning to program in the next few days, waiting untill cc2 is ready, or just not having it the way I want it.
I don't know any other company that stops development of a mature product before having a working replacement for it.

I'm sorry to be a pain, but I'm just insanely frustrated, and wish that my 634 hadn't commited suicide.

However I would settle for how to map the keys on the 635 to reset/power.

reider

lord_xaero said:
I would like to know how to run CC1 on a 635. I had a 634 and had everything perfect. I am getting very frustrated with cc2 Because every single feature I like is GONE! No mbm support,

MBM support is there for screens, MBM themselves stopped further development. More screens available at request.

Winamp can't switch cc2 off.(With cc1 I could have winamp automatically switch to a spectrum witout having NA displayed all the time or having alternate turned on and see NA blinking) My problem is I cannot get CC1 to work with my 635. Oh btw speedfan has a long way to go to be half as usefull as mbm.(not crashing my system into oblivion would be a great start.)

The Speedfan issue is a problem with the Speedfan program, Speedfan too is fully supported in CC2

On a side note the sales info says the 635 can be used as a power/reset switch...How???

CC Tech will tell you about this, it may require other hardware to complete.

thanks
Any other screens for CC2 are available at request in the forums, where many volunteers will and do make them up to suit. At no point do you have to learn to do it yourself, though many do try it. You could ask about an inclusion of the .dll to drive the 635 in CC1.

On top of this we now have full keypad support, Live Weather, Live News feeds, Keyboard support, skip screens, email (including multi accounts), Scab control (software and keypad), fan control (software and keypad) etc etc.....

Steve

Last edited:

jc634

Administrator
lord_xaero said:
I would like to know how to run CC1 on a 635. I had a 634 and had everything perfect. I am getting very frustrated with cc2 Because every single feature I like is GONE! No mbm support, Winamp can't switch cc2 off.(With cc1 I could have winamp automatically switch to a spectrum witout having NA displayed all the time or having alternate turned on and see NA blinking) My problem is I cannot get CC1 to work with my 635. Oh btw speedfan has a long way to go to be half as usefull as mbm.(not crashing my system into oblivion would be a great start.)

thanks
This is a very difficult post to respond to...:(

CC1 is no longer in development, end of story. CC2 was written as a complete replacement fo CC1, therefore everything a user has developed for CC1 has to be rewritten for CC2. Unfortunate, but that is the way it is.

MBM is no longer in development, end of story. There are screens written for MBM/CC2, look in the CC2 user screen forum. There are instructions on how to set-up CC2 to work with MBM there, also.

The 635 has power/reset capabilities. I do remember asking about it somewhere in the forums. CC2 has not implemented this feature. And I am not sure if it can without addtional HW. Basically, this feature is there for manufacturers who wish to incorporate it into their designs. At this point, we are way out the leaque of the entusiast (consumer), as it requires specific user written software to accomplish. One must remember that CF sells their displays to manufacturers, also.

As far as winamp goes, may I suggest that you incorporate a CC2 screen? daks wrote a very nice one (which I use). It is in the user screen forum, also.

Regarding specific screens that you have for CC1, ask and I am sure that one of us users can get you a CC2 version.

In contradiction to reider, I do not consider CC2 a BETA. It is a very feature rich program that can do much more than CC1 could ever do. What is there currently is rock-solid.

What it currently lacks is a feature. Perhaps a BIG feature, but still a feature. This is the GUI to be able to write screens directly within CC2, thus bypassing the need to directly write/edit screens. It is coming... ;)

I hope this helps. Just be assured that we can help.:)

Jim

p.s., if you are really that frustrated with your current situation (and you really don't want to get CC2 working with your set-up), you might want you contact CF. I am sure that they could arrange for you to do some type of exchange for your 635 with a 634.

CF Tech

Administrator
To get the power and reset going, you need a SCAB and a WRPWRY14, and then you need to send some setup commands to the display using 635_WinTest.

If you do not have the SCAB, please PM me and I'll see what I can do.

lord_xaero

woo hoo

Junked cc2 and got everything I had and more working with lcdsmartie. 25+ hours trying to figure out what the hell was going on with cc2. Had 20+ screens set up in lcdsmartie in just under 2.
I understand that cc2 is in development, but I don't understand how you ship a product that requires further development.
I love my screen, I got the keys working and everything(with a pseudo menu structure, animated no less!) I now have a program to hold me over till cc2 becomes a little more user friendly.
thanks

jc634

Administrator
Regardless of what program you choose to use, I am glad you got the display working to your satisfaction.:)

The 635 is a very nice display.

Jim

lord_xaero

Yes I love it...Once I got it working right it was way better than my 634.... hehe now to find a copy of pong for it....

Clegg

I know I am late to the party here, but:

I do want to point out that not everyone has a day to dedicate to just getting the device to sorta work for them. The level of programming and hackery needed to get CC2 to do what CC1 did is absurd. I am a LONG time fan of Crystalfontz, I think their hardware is TOP notch.. but like ATi their software is on the "needs improvements" side. The CC1/CF Service combo worked well, but was still limited. CC2 took the fit and finish to another level, made the fan/temp control much better, but TOTALLY boned up the CC side for doing screens, and setting up what you want on your display easily.

I do think that its unrealistic to expect people to read through a 20 page doc, and then start hackign files to display what they want. I read the doc, I program websites, java, PHP, Perl... and this "method" of making the screens confuses me! I spent 5 hours yesterday just trying to get it to display free disk space on my D drive... just to find out that the perfmon ini in CC2 was buggered with syntax errors, and when I finnally got it to work it displays corrupted most of the time.

CC2 has been in development for well over a year now, and I understand its going to get better... but as of now I still see CC2 as a big dissapointment for those looking to improve on what CC1 provided. Needing to learn how to program in a new language, dig through countless INI files, plugins, etc... or rely on folks on the web to cook something up for you seems like a BAD way to go if you want to get market penetration into the enthusiast market.

Also a feature I love in CC2 is when you get a screen file wrong, or some bad syntax, is crashes CC2. Making debuging stuff you write nice and frustrating.

CF Mark

Administrator
I do want to point out that not everyone has a day to dedicate to just getting the device to sorta work for them. The level of programming and hackery needed to get CC2 to do what CC1 did is absurd. I am a LONG time fan of Crystalfontz, I think their hardware is TOP notch.. but like ATi their software is on the "needs improvements" side. The CC1/CF Service combo worked well, but was still limited. CC2 took the fit and finish to another level, made the fan/temp control much better, but TOTALLY boned up the CC side for doing screens, and setting up what you want on your display easily.

CC2 has been in development for well over a year now, and I understand its going to get better... but as of now I still see CC2 as a big dissapointment for those looking to improve on what CC1 provided. Needing to learn how to program in a new language, dig through countless INI files, plugins, etc... or rely on folks on the web to cook something up for you seems like a BAD way to go if you want to get market penetration into the enthusiast market.
CrystalControl2 is a huge project, there are currently over 50,000 lines of code in it.
Maintaining the current public version, and then working on the closed beta version (the screen-editor at the moment) is no small task.
In other words, its being developed as fast as possible.

I do think that its unrealistic to expect people to read through a 20 page doc, and then start hackign files to display what they want. I read the doc, I program websites, java, PHP, Perl... and this "method" of making the screens confuses me! I spent 5 hours yesterday just trying to get it to display free disk space on my D drive... just to find out that the perfmon ini in CC2 was buggered with syntax errors, and when I finnally got it to work it displays corrupted most of the time.
Editing INI files to get things to work is not how CC2 should be used, the GUI should take care of all that... and will do when its completed.

CC2 is currently released to allow for those people who do not mind playing with such things to use CC2 early.

A teaser of things to come (this is the current beta version):
http://www.overclockers.com.au/~mwp/temp/cc2-usage.avi

Also a feature I love in CC2 is when you get a screen file wrong, or some bad syntax, is crashes CC2. Making debuging stuff you write nice and frustrating.
Only way it can be fixed is if you let me know about it.
Start a new thread in the CC2 forum with your INI files and log files attached, ill get the problem fixed.

Clegg

Thanks for the reply, and I fully understand. being a person who reviews products I need to loo look at stuff in a very realistic way. When I see docs about how to make screens explaining what files you need to use, how to hack together a file... to me seems rather, weak.

I know lots of work is going into this, and I know its going to be better in time. (its already much better than it was when I used CC2 on its first release!)

But with this said, contrary to what was said above - isnt CC2 still considered Beta?

CF Mark

Administrator
But with this said, contrary to what was said above - isnt CC2 still considered Beta?
As far as i am concerned the idea of public beta testing is a little silly.

Most software will never be 100% stable, so should we always say they are in beta?
It seems to be the way a lot of software is released... always in beta testing.

I like the common linux/unix way of doing things.
No public beta testing, and no version number, just use the release date.
If somthing is broken, get it fixed and release it with a new date.

The private beta testing we do is a different story though.
The guys who do test it know that parts of the software is only 1/2 completed, there will be big bugs, etc.

Clegg

CF Tech said:
Did you find the user screen library?

https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?threadid=4257

There may be something in there that is close.

If not, jc634 will probably be able to put one together for you:

https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?threadid=4305

Let's see if one of those approaches works for you.
I got it to work, took me many hours but I edited the C drive one that jc made to look at the D drive. Thats when I noticed that the perfmon ini was broken.