633 flickering fans

swedkg

Hi,
how can i stop my led fans connected on my 633 from flickering?
I believe that i have already set rpm sensing off in the 633-service.ini (fanX=0), i checked 633_WinTest, and rpm report is off.
Should i use any special command?
________
Kawasaki KR-1S
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
The fans are PWM'd at any power setting other than 100% or 0% and will flicker. Turning on RPM reporting will additionally modulate the flicker slightly.

Perhaps you could separate the LEDs from the motor inside the fan.

swedkg

well, added the cap, and now i think the header is dead, no fan spinning.
is there a way i can fix it? if i change the header, will it work?
________
vaporizer volcano

Last edited:

swedkg

i used a 1500?F cap, from an old motherboard.
i believe the header died the same time i connected the fans on the header. actually, i never saw them spin, after i used the cap. their leds just flash once, but nothing happens.
________
TS125 DUSTER

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
I dono.

It could be that the large current required to charge the cap initially is enough to blow the transistors.

A discharged cap initially looks like a dead short (assuming a very low ESR, which a motherboard cap might well have), so it would be like turning on the fan header into a short circuit. If the peak current was high enough, it could smoke the fan transistor.

Once the cap charges up, the peak currents will reduce.

I guess if you wanted to pursue it, you could try a 10 ohm (to limit the peak current to 12v/10ohms or 1.2amps) 10 watt (assuming 1 amp fan current) resistor between the CFA-633's fan header and the cap.

I am not very sure that it is worth going after though. The RC for 1500uF * 10 ohms is only 0.015 seconds. The PWM period is 0.055 seconds. So you might need on the order of 4 times the capacitance.

CF Tech

Administrator
You have ( 3 ) more tries!

We will have to arrange to get that back for repairs. Please write support(at)crystalfontz(dot)com and we will get a ticket open for you.