VDS display

Ferrari355

That's no deal... I haven't brought the bus pirate to check out the SPI control lines yet just too many things going on right now.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

tiulian

Hi, I know this thread is old, but maybe someone's still interested in figuring it out.. :) so, I've made measurements on the board, and by viewing the signals on the oscilloscope, I've come up with this : pins 1 and 2 are Vcc and Vss, pins 3,4,5 and 6 are the "mystery" pins and 7, 8 are + / - for the backlight. Now, for the "mystery" pins, I have 2 of them that are under continuous voltage and the other 2 that are under pulse voltage, respectively one clock and one random pulse, in synch with the clock - meaning SCL / SDA (in my opinion..). The other 2 pins could be Enable and Contrast. Now, the problem is that I don't know the steps in coding the driver for a serial display (this one in particular).. Does anyone have any idea ?.. I'm pretty enthusiastic that I'm very close in cracking it and it would make for a nice display to scrap :)

Ferrari355

That's looking good! my display is still hanging in with just only one LED lighting the display.. very hard to see I need to tilt it to see it.

my finding where the same connected to the oscope.. each change on the display would cause a pulse on the pin..

I was told to use a bus pirate on it but I kinda lost track getting back to the project.

Ferrari355

I took out my display and something confuses me..

a few posts up they list these pins as being needed for the display to work

1 Vss (ground)
2 Vdd (+5v)
3 RS
4 E
5 DB4
6 DB5
7 DB6
8 DB7

Now here is what confuses me.. So we found pins 7&8 are for the backlight and 1&2 are for the logic.. that leaves me with 4 wires left.. how would I be able to do pins 3-8 with only 4 wires if that's needed to power the display to show something?

tiulian

Hi, I know this thread is old, but maybe someone's still interested in figuring it out.. :) so, I've made measurements on the board, and by viewing the signals on the oscilloscope, I've come up with this : pins 1 and 2 are Vcc and Vss, pins 3,4,5 and 6 are the "mystery" pins and 7, 8 are + / - for the backlight. Now, for the "mystery" pins, I have 2 of them that are under continuous voltage and the other 2 that are under pulse voltage, respectively one clock and one random pulse, in synch with the clock - meaning SCL / SDA (in my opinion..). The other 2 pins could be Enable and Contrast. Now, the problem is that I don't know the steps in coding the driver for a serial display (this one in particular).. Does anyone have any idea ?.. I'm pretty enthusiastic that I'm very close in cracking it and it would make for a nice display to scrap :)
So, a few days ago I found the display again, sitting in a drawer.. :D so, resuming what I found out last time, there was :
1 - Vcc
2 - Vss
3/4 - one of them is possibly power on reset, the other chip select (if SPI)
5 - SCL / SCK
6 - SDA / DIN
7 - Backlight
8 - Backlight
I do believe it's I2C, because it's connected to I2C bus on the MCU from the original board, but then again, pin 4 on the LCD is connected to one GPIO pin on the MCU (but is it CSEL or reset ???).. I am tempted to believe that we're talking about PCF2119 driver; let's find out ! :D

tiulian

decided to try this again after getting a oscilloscope
Do you remember wich was the pin that showed up in the yellow channel (from your picture) ? I only managed to find out wich was SCL and SDA, but the yellow channel from your picture looks like a CSEL..

MartinGf

You're banned from using this forum
It will be interesting to know if the problem has been solved and how, because I've faced with the same one recently.

Weasel

Hi all!
The display of my Z-680 control pad just broke as well (no black digits anymore), so I googled how to fix this problem and came across this thread. When I opened my device, I found not a VDS display mounted, but a LUMEX LCM-E02002DTF-U. I also found a data sheet here: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/244/LCM-E02002DTF-U-81450.pdf - I am not an electronic crack at all, but maybe it's of some use for anyone here. You will also easily find a commercial source to order the display ;-) I will try to replace mine, update you when it works...

CF Support2

Administrator
Took a look at the datasheet, and that is a bit of an "odd duck" of a display. We don't carry a direct replacement, and none of our partner factories have a direct replacement. The interface is SPI, not parallel - making it more "non standard". I checked all types of displays - COB, COG, OLED.

Good luck with the swap :)

Hi all!
The display of my Z-680 control pad just broke as well (no black digits anymore), so I googled how to fix this problem and came across this thread. When I opened my device, I found not a VDS display mounted, but a LUMEX LCM-E02002DTF-U. I also found a data sheet here: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/244/LCM-E02002DTF-U-81450.pdf - I am not an electronic crack at all, but maybe it's of some use for anyone here. You will also easily find a commercial source to order the display ;-) I will try to replace mine, update you when it works...

Weasel

Ups, the supplier told me that the display is not available any more. However I was told that there would be several alternatives available: Lumex LCM-S02002DSF (http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/244/LCM-S02002DSF-99386.pdf), LCR-U02002DSF-WH (http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/244/LCR-U02002DSF-WH-187703.pdf), LCM-H02002DTF (http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/244/LCM-H02002DTF-80627.pdf) or LCM-S02002DSF-Y. Since I am an absolute noob in this field, can you tell me if any of these options would work as replacement, and if yes how to wire it? Thanks a lot!