Unreliable update on 2nd line

perplexed

CC unable to reliably interact with 631 module (631_WinTest works though)

[Edit: The problem is actually better described in the next two responses... after having a little more time to experiment with the issue. The issue seems to be more to do with a general communication reliability problem, rather than addressing a specific line. I am unsure if this is a problem specific to my module (fault), or the CC code/timing for the 631 modules in general...]

I'm finding that, using CC, the 2nd line of my 631 seems to be unreliably updated. Is this a known problem, and is there a fix I can apply.

The LCD display content seems to lag the CC "virtual" display content also. In other words, the CC application's virtual screen (in the settings window) cycles through the screens, but the LCD content does not mirror it's changes... the LCD lines are not changing in-sync with the virtual display.

I notice that often the contents of the 2nd line from a previous screen remain in the next screen (or screens), rather than being overwritten by the next tag content.

For instance, I have a screen that displays the CPU temp on line 1, Case temp on line 2. I also have a screen that displays the email new message count on Line 1, and latest email subject on Line 2. From time to time the temperature related screen shows the Line 1 CPU temp, and the latest email message subject on Line 2... Line 2 did not get updated to the Case temperature text.

Eg:

New Mail: 4
Sub: Hello

[ New screen active...]

CPU: 40
Sub: Hello <--- Should be "Case: 35", and is on the CC applcations virtual screen display.

Any suggestions?

Edit:
631_WinTest seems to immediately update the line content... as soon as the line's send button is pressed, the LCD line updates. I've noticed that if I exit CC, I have to reboot the system before I can run 631_Wintest and gain control of the module (after making sure CC isn't configured to load with windows). I'm running a recent version of MBM (5.3.5.1). Not sure why CC isn't always updating the content of Line 2 with the currently active screen. I'll try a few other things this evening once I get home. The 631 module is a virtual serial port/USB connected unit. When CC starts it reports that it's talking with the unit at the 115xxx rate.
Any chance these symptoms could be because of running the module on another USB header at an earlier time?... Is there any hardware manager cleanup that I need to do clean up from previous USB port connections, or COM port configuration assignments?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

perplexed

Here's the latest...

For some reason it doesn't seem to reliably receive/display the screens that CC is sending it. The first line seems more likely to get updated, but it appears that some screens don't trigger any change when they're sent. To test this I created three simple screens with the text:

Screen 1 1
Screen 1 2

Screen 2 1
Screen 2 2

Blank Line
Blank Line

And configured each to alternate for a few seconds on each.
These screens are not output on the LCD reliably.... I see the following displayed, with extended and variable pauses between each state (while the settings panel virtual display screens are updating... suggesting that some changes don't register at all):

Screen 1 1
[blank line]
Screen 2 1
[blank line]
[Blank Screen]
etc.

I tried uninstalling the USB drivers, and CC... and reinstalling (USB driver package first, detect module, point to driver directory, then - once USB driver and serial driver have installed and all look good - CC)... This had no effect.

I'm stumped at this point. I'm going to try running 631_WinTest only to see if this shows any evidence of communications problems.... Help... anyone?....

Last edited:

perplexed

An update:

631_WinTest seems to work without a hitch. I can use it to talk to the 631 module (clear screen, set line 1 text, set line 2 text, turn on/off key icons, set key icons) and the changes go through instantly. I can also step through the Big Number demo and the LCD displays the demo without any problem (dummy temperature displays, moving CPU bar graph/numbers, etc.).

For some reason it just seems to be CrystalControl (I'm running the 631 built version... 1.04) that isn't able to interact well with my 631 module...

Is it possible that CC is running into a subtle timing issue when trying to talk with the module, that 631_WinTest doesn't run into? My system's a pretty standard PC:

Shuttle SN41G2 (nForce2 based motherboard)
AMD 2500+ CPU
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Seagate HD

Nothing too exotic...

Scudist

Unreliable Update 631 2nd Line

Hello, I have just taken delivery of a luvly silver 631 LCD and have fitted it to my shuttle. I have been playing and setting it up but have had issues with the 2nd line freezing and begin slow to update. I don't see any point describing it as it is the same as the initial post.

I too am using CC v1.04, I realize this is not the perfect software as the 631 was tagged in recently, but if the 2nd line worked as it should, it would make me happy till CC v2.0 is released.

Just thought I would let you know your not an isolated case.

perplexed

Received one this morning (my time) and sent reply at about 9am Pacific (1am your time?). Just resent to your crystalfonz.com address. Let me know if it isn't getting to you.

Also, check PM for results there (in the event that email is failing to get through)

Thanks.

Last edited: