Boot Screen Editor Public Beta

Draw6

I see related threads popping up all over the forum.

Nice work guys.

GUI:
Couple of small points - everybody has an opinion - I know I know ... the Custon Char Edit form, kill the FocusRect on the matrix buttons when it's returned white - looks tacky. The radio buttons for scrolling are confusing - the none is ok, have the others indicate "This Scrolls" when checked, blank if not. Maybe<?> Drop the label "cust char dbl-click to edit blah blah and change to a hint for the char bitmaps. Then you can increase the font size for LINE 1 / 4 since that cfbsfont doesnt look good until it's 20 or better.

Yes it looks really utility on Win9x/NT - not as pretty as XP. You do need to see it on both, make some adjustments.

CODE:
ANy way to change the *.cf format to show the boot screen text in \128 code instead of extended characters?

Will

Boot Screen & WinXP

Soooo.....

Has anyone had any success with boot screens and winxp!

I like the idea of a boot screen and this editor looks great but what is the point if i can't see the boot screen :D

p.s. Under the at power on options perhaps the 5 second delay could be set by the user I could see a need for a longer delay! also the only line i could get to scroll in the virtual display was line 1, is this a bug?

Last edited:

Americanfreak

I only see the boot screen for about 1/2 of a second. I have set it to display for 5 seconds..........

What would be really cool is that if you could use the icons that you make with this editor in the others screen that are setup!

Joaquin

Good job so far

Beef....

Great job!. I am running WinXP Home and Pro and a CF634 USB.

So far so good. I have been able to create, save, and use about 6 different Boot screens, each with their own custom characters. Storing them to the EEPROM has gone smoothly on every attempt. I particulary like the wait features on the Boot screen itself. Any errors that I have run into so far have been a result of my own ignorance but I'll keep on digging. More to come....

Joaquin

mbono

No delay on boot screen

The software works well in all aspects except the options at the bottom that tell the display what to do on power on. No matter the selection, the display flashes my boot screen for about a half a second before going into my crystalcontrol screens. I'd like the 5 second option to work if that's possible. I'm using the 2 line crystalfonts display on XP.

CURTISBEEF

Re: No delay on boot screen

mbono said:
The software works well in all aspects except the options at the bottom that tell the display what to do on power on. No matter the selection, the display flashes my boot screen for about a half a second before going into my crystalcontrol screens. I'd like the 5 second option to work if that's possible. I'm using the 2 line crystalfonts display on XP.
Thats not a problem with my program thats a CC problem

CURTISBEEF

Americanfreak said:
I can still only get the boot screen to display for about a half second........is there a way to make is this work?
i said it once and i will say it again "Thats not a problem with my program thats a CC problem"

CF Support

Administrator
There's a drop-down in the boot screen program for "At Power-On, the display should:"

Make sure it's set to "show user boot screen until a character arrives"

If it *is* already set to that when you stored the settings to the display, and CC isn't running when the display goes from the boot state, it's an OS problem, not a problem with the display, or CC.

Windows (I'm not sure if all iterations of it does) has a tendency to go out and look at the ports and see if they're "alive" ... and when it does so, the 632/634 thinks it's getting talked to, so it stops displaying the boot screen in order to start displaying information that it believes is forthcoming. After windows checks, it doesn't bother talking anymore, so you're left without your boot screen displayed.

Your milage may vary...

tyrion

Support

Does this software support paralell displays?

I wanted to get a 634 USB LCD 20x4 but they cost $100 (including shipping to Ireland) so I'm looking at a Parallel Character LCD 20x4 which is $50 (with shipping again).

Is it worth my while getting a USB model?