Is it possible to layer multiple lcd displays?

sengberg

Is it possible to layer multiple lcd displays as if to create a 3d image? I was trying to think up of something for a science fair invention and I thought that since lcds are transparent it could be possible and it would be neat to see. The lcd's would probably have to be graphic lcds which do not have a back light so i can take out the rear reflector and layer the lcds. And dealing with the number of serial ports for the demo boards, it is possible to get a serial port hub. I was planning on using just a few layers ( 3 or 4) so basic madels can be shown. Is there anything i should know before I start this project?

Thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

sengberg

Thanks for the links.
Regarding with the polarization, what if only the outside layers polarize it? (have only 1 horizontal filter in the first layer and a vertical filter behind the last layer) Couldn't it work this way?

sengberg

Since I am trying to use 3 or 4 graphic lcds should i try using the CFAX12864AP-NFH and get a serial hub so that i can connect to a computer, or is there a better choice of product to use?
Thanks for your time.

CF Tech

Administrator
CFAX12864AP-NFH is not serial.

You can operate if from a demo board through the parallel port, but it would be clumsy (or maybe impossible) to have 4 connected.

sengberg

Are there any graphic lcds which have serial or usb ports? Can a character lcd be modified to show rudimentary images?

sengberg

Would I need to rewire the cable through the demo board to the parallel port or would it work just connecting a parallel cable?

You cannot connect the CFAX displays directly to a parallel port, as the displays use 3.3 volt power and signals. The demo board contains the voltage translation circuitry, but will only accept one display. It has no provision for the multiple chip-selects you would need.

Your best bet might be an interface micro (like a PIC chip) that takes RS232 serial in, and controls the 4 displays by using a couple of I/O ports. Fabricating the board with the ZIF flex tail connectors would be a challenge, unless you can do pcb layout, or contract someone to do it.

sengberg

Thanks for responding to my questions.

Would using multiple demo boards work? Would I have to do something special to make the wiring work from the demo board to the computer's parallel port? I do not have the electrical expertise to interface a chip with the lcds, let alone have the programming background to make it work.

My intent would be to control them through a computer. I know that CrystalFontz doesn't like it when this is done, but controlling the image is a vital part to the project. Do the more computer friendly lcd's have the capabilities to create characters which could be formed into an image.
Thanks again.

Would using multiple demo boards work?
Yes, if you had a computer with 4 parallel ports. Would you write your own control software, or run 4 instances of some program?
Would I have to do something special to make the wiring work from the demo board to the computer's parallel port?
No, the demo board is designed to connect directly to a parallel port. But, as CF Tech suggests, it would be extremely clumsy to have 4 of them close enough together to make the displays overlap. The displays have relatively short flex tails. But it could be done if you butchered the demo boards to make them shorter.
Do the more computer friendly lcd's have the capabilities to create characters which could be formed into an image.
Yes, but typically only 8 custom characters are allowed, so you couldn't do very complex graphics. You'd have to choose one of the models that dont have gaps between the rows or character cells. BUT, the way these serial LCD are constructed, you could not remove the LCD from the controller board and expect it to function.

I was wondering how the multiple layers of polarization would affect each other, e.g. having two overlapping pixels on and the polarization is rotated so far that the net result is both appear off. This seems like a lot of work (or $) just to get a working test setup.

Last edited:

sengberg

I was planning on running a program 3 times. ( 3 displays) I'm gonna have to play around with the polarization filters to get it to work as you said. I just have to be careful not to damage the lcd. That would be unfortunate.

Thanks again for answering my newb questions.

sengberg

The later of the two are out of my budget by far. I hoping for a program more like LCD Studio. (free) I guess that I could adjust the wintest program to what I need.

Thanks for the reply

sengberg

Isn't there some way to write a program to communicate with the lcd itself, similar to the wintest program? I am not very experienced in coding but I am willing to try at it.

CF Tech

Administrator
That is why the source is included with CFAX_WinTest -- to be a starting point for your own code.

sengberg

What program would be best to compile to source files. I found Visual C++ 2005, but when i go to build Wintest it says "Cannot open include file: 'afxwin.h': No such file or directory" In the notes it says that it is part of Mfc core and standard components. Where could I find these files? Also does the wintest program directly address the port or does it do it through the portIO program?

Thanks for continuing to answering my questions.