VDS display

alf_17

HI...
I got hold of a VDS lcd display model VC-B200251...
There is only 8 pins, and I have no clue of how to connect it...
Can anyone help me?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
The "200251" sounds like a date code. Any other numbers on it? Maybe post a pic of the front & back . . .

CF Tech

Administrator
Base site (I hate frames)
http://www.vds.com.tw

Part number decoder:
http://www.vds.com.tw/Products/number-lcm.htm

VC_B200251_2TFLBA

V: Vision Display System Co.,Ltd.
C: Character Type
B: Package Type COB
20: 20 characters
02: 2 lines
51:Customer Design LCM
2: Normal Temp, 12'o clock viewing
T: TN
F: Transflective/Positive
L: LED Backlight
B: Blue Backlight
A: Model series

List of products:
http://www.vds.com.tw/Products/STD-LCM-LIST2.htm

Now this might sound encouraging, but there is a catch. The "51" in the part number means that it is a custom LCD and it is pretty unlikely that you will be able to get a data sheet out of VDS. Might as well write them and ask though.

If there is only 8 lines, I would guess that these signals are included (but have no idea of the order):

power
ground
e
rs
D4-D7

but it may be some kind of a SPI interface, which would actually make more sense.

Don't go poking around putting +5v on stuff trying to get it to power up . . . like as not you will kill it by guessing wrong.

Can you get a clearer pic of the back? Maybe lay it on your scanner at 150DPI.

uski

Hi,

Did you find any information ?
I have the same display and I'd like to make something out of it.

I also have the original system that is using it (a Logitech Z680 5.1 audio kit), so I might be able to do some reverse engineering to see what it is doing.

I THINK it might be a HD44780 LCD, because there is a 91K resistor which is typical to this controller. Maybe not all the pins are connected.

I'd have to check that with a logical analyzer, but I can't do it now.

uski

CF Tech

Administrator
Observation: The minimum lines needed to run an "HD44780" style display are D7,D6,D5,D4,RS,E,Power & Ground. Which happens to be the same number of lines on that display.

If you can look at the lines when it is operating, you might be able to figure out which are which.

Ferrari355

Anyone? The Display Backlight is going out and making it very hard to see the last bit of life I saw from it is when it was flickering a little.

From what I understand Crystalfontz no longer sells OLED displays here anymore.. So what is a good display with a good Contrast and good angle?

CF Tech

Administrator
Yes, the OLEDs seem to be having some availability trouble :(

So are you just looking for an LCD that will replace the VDS display? What is that thing in that so many of you have one?

If so there is probably something in our character modules that would be a close fit. You would have to measure the VDS module and compare it to the modules that are readily available.

Ferrari355

Yes, the OLEDs seem to be having some availability trouble :(

So are you just looking for an LCD that will replace the VDS display? What is that thing in that so many of you have one?

If so there is probably something in our character modules that would be a close fit. You would have to measure the VDS module and compare it to the modules that are readily available.

yeah just looking for one to replace it it's very hard to see and I sit around 30 inches from it.

it's the same LCD as the person attached above however I need to measure it first

Ferrari355

the display is a 20X2 but how do I know the pin outs?

it seems like the company does not want to answer email's and my last option is to call the factory in Taiwan and ask.

Ferrari355

That is the $US1M question! We just do not know on that module.
well given the price of the LCD should I buy it thats a lot to just toy around with it without a data sheet.

I will give them 3 days to answer back then I will call the factory..

Half the email address on the company website don't work which is not always a good thing.

At least we get wonderful support here!

I think the Yellow/Green LCD would be best as far as contrast and LED backlight goes?

Ferrari355

This is what I got back from one of the sales/support email address out of the other 5 I sent out to other people.

"Hello

Are you Mr.Mike from Update? Did you change your e-mail address?

Tthe almost sales was gone and the record also can not be found now.

Cindy"