Questions:

netalix

Hello.

I'm a bit of a tinkering fan, and I would like to DIY my own "in dash" LCD display.

I'd like to use this model: CFA2002A-YMC-JP

Mainly because it looks AWESOME. (way to go guys)

My questions are:

1: Since this is not one of the "intelegent" ones I take it it's a parallel controled display?? Can this be driven with power from the parallel connector? is there power on the parallel connector?

2: Having a Parallel printer, I wonder if I would be able to use a "switch" box with this?

3: Is this display compatible with LCD proc etc?

4: when purchaced, do you supply documentation on how to connect it to the pc? IE: schematics / plans etc?

5: is this or perhaps a 4 line one easyly mountable?

I know yall sell the kits, but well. I like to make things a. and b, I simply can't afford the prices. (being a college student sucks!)

-Kevin
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
1: Since this is not one of the "intelegent" ones I take it it's a parallel controled display?? Can this be driven with power from the parallel connector? is there power on the parallel connector?
Yes it is "parallel". In general, the parallel port will not supply enough power to drive the display (and certainly not the backlight).
2: Having a Parallel printer, I wonder if I would be able to use a "switch" box with this?
Should work OK.

Adding another PCI parallel port may be more elegant. There are some sources in the second post of this thread .
3: Is this display compatible with LCD proc etc?
Check the LCDproc pages pages. It should work with the HD44780 driver.
4: when purchaced, do you supply documentation on how to connect it to the pc? IE: schematics / plans etc?
You can download the data sheet for the display from the product page. There is a thread here that gives a schematic. However, see the comment in this thread about backlights and potentiometers.

Here is a page about 44780 based LCD's in general.

I have a utility (lcdprint.exe) written by Mike Lynch that will send a text file to a display. That can be good for debugging your cable.

There is a pretty good tutorial on connecting a parallel LCD at http://mpford.dyndns.org. Then click on "LCD Display", and then " Step by Step how to build an LCD Display" (it is a framed site).

There is another nice article here that shows connection in a PC.

The bracket kits we sell are only for the serial displays. You are on your own for the parallel displays. Using a Dremel to mount the display in a blank drive bay cover is a popular option.
(being a college student sucks!)
No, being a poor college student sucks.:D