How can I create a power + data cable for my display?

D2000

I would like to know if there is a way I could use RJ-45 cable instead of a serial cable to run power (controller and back light) and data to my LCD display.

Thanks

-Dave
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Dave:

Thanks for your question.

The only signals that 632 (16 x 2 serial) and 634 (20x4 serial) displays need are +5v, RS-232 in, and Ground.

Since Cat5 UTP cable (that is typically terminated with RJ-45 connectors) is quite common and inexpensive, it can easily be used to connect the display. This is a popular way to connect the display to a PC in car MP3 players.

Here is a diagram that shows how to set it up:

Adding the fuse would be a good idea for a car, it would protect the PC's power supply in case the cable gets damaged.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

D2000

Worked Like a Charm!!

It was no problem getting it up and running,
just a little time consuming (cutting all the wires and joining them together. But it was all worth it.
Now all I am looking for is an updated WinAmp plug-in for this display, because it is running a little slow!!

shepmaster

I recently got my first 633 display, and would like to do something similar, run both data and power over a relatively short (3 meter) cat5 cable. Since the 633 has the nice floppy disk power connecter, I basically would like to construct two adaptors: one that will go from rj-45 (female) to a female serial connector and a male floppy power connector. This would go on the computer side. The other connector will go from rj-45(also female) to a female floppy power connector and the 2x5 header connector. This would go on the lcd end.

Can anyone offer advice on where to find the floppy power connectors or the 2x5 header? I have a feeling the serial connector and rj-45 will be easy radioshack pickups, but I'm not sure about the other parts.

Thanks a bunch for such a nice product!

CF Tech

Administrator
You can get the female floppy connector off a power spliter (like the WRPWRY12). You should be able to find IDC connectors for the 2x5 (you could steal one from a WR232Y08).

Keep in mind that the 633 pretty much requires both Tx and Rx, so I would try one connductor for Rx, one for Tx, one for +5v, and one for +12v, along with 4 grounds.

WillGonz

I thought of using a 5vDC AC Power Adaptor. Plug it into the wall and then plug it into a connector into my external case. From Radio Shack Part Numbers 274-1565 and 270-1806. With the USB Version of the 634 you don't need external power as it comes off of the USB. I wish CrystalFontz made cases. I perfer external because I can put the display anywhere I want.

WillGonz :D

DasGnu

RS232 Port?

Does this mean I can completely ignore the onboard RS232 port and connect the wires directly to the contacts at the bottom of the main display PCB?

jc79

CF Tech said:
You can get the female floppy connector off a power spliter (like the WRPWRY12). You should be able to find IDC connectors for the 2x5 (you could steal one from a WR232Y08).

Keep in mind that the CFA-633 pretty much requires both Tx and Rx, so I would try one connductor for Rx, one for Tx, one for +5v, and one for +12v, along with 4 grounds.
Hi. I bought a 633 which I will install fairly far away from the PC so I want to use Cat5 to get it hooked up.

The diagram you posted for the 634 is great but I understand that I will also need to use both TxD and RxD.

My question is: How does all of this maps to the 10pin connector on the back of the 633? Which of the 5 pins on the 1st column is TxD, RxD, Gnd, +5 and +12?

Also, can I operate the display using only the +5? I'm not planning on running any fans or anything else with it.

Any help is very appreciated. :D

Thank you,

-jc